Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a wart on a beautiful girl.........off with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a foot in both camps have a replacement trigger guard made with a profile to suit the gun so you can have the gun either way with its history unchanged.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were my gun, I would remove it. As has been said more eloquently than I can say.....It takes away from the looks of a lovely gun.

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it was a glow worm sight would you think twice about taking it off? To me this after market addition is just as much out of place as one of those sight would be. Remove it and forget about it. So unless you like the addition remove it and at least restore the good lines that gun was born with. Damn thing looks like a dangling participle and we all know you should never have one of those.

I bought a very early Browning Superposed with two triggers which some trap shooter had added a Morgan adjustable recoil pad. Function, but looked like Hell. Off it came and I added a leather covered pad. Looks much nicer now. That addition bothers you so get rid of it. I rather see a scar from its removal than the wart it is on the gun. If possible remove it and any trace that it ever existed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Part of the gun now. Unless it bothers your shooting I'd leave it if it were mine. JMHO...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that trigger guard nickel plated? I have a Bayard hammer gun with a false under lever, but much nicer an appendage than yours.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, the trigger guard, trigger plate, and buttplate are all nickel plated and appear totally original with the engraving still very sharp. Both the trigger guard and top tang are very long as often found on early breechloaders and muzzle loaders.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update: well, after commiserating and considering the opinions offered here, I did the dastardly deed today. Considering everything I think it came out as well as possible and sure has better lines. Plugged the holes with drill rod and aged it all a bit with acid.

The surgery and amputated scroll guard

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Joe

Good riddance to the Snidely Whiplash appendage.

Sure is a nice piece of timber and a fine gun.

Pan fried Quail and grits, Yummm

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would not bug me either way....meaning hunting or the looks.I would not waste the time or the money.
Just shoot it.....if you don't like it I might have a soft spot in my heart to help you get some of your money out of it...Just curious how is it choked????

monty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.