April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (bbman3, bushveld, earlyriser), 427 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Not wanting to distract from the other pigs post, I was wondering if anyone here had ever hunted feral pigs in Texas or one of the other Southern States? Texas is the closest to me here in Colorado, so I've been researching it first. I'm hearing that further south is better (ie. down around Houston verses the Panhandle) but I'm trying to do this on a shoestring budget. Any insight into how one might do this would be greatly appreciated. FWIW: I'm not interested in big, we just want to fill a few coolers with some pork.

Look on the internet for Big Woods on the Trinity (East Texas) they specialize in hog hunts and have some outstanding timber duck hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones,
Our Turkish guide(also friend)Ramet had to use a shotgun(not allowed to own a rifle) and loaded it with buckshot. He said he usually shot for the guts, to avoid that plate.He killed a lot of them; I suspect he was hitting them in the liver( liver shot does kill quickly).
Mike

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A hunter in Georgia was attacked and severely injured by a wounded wild hog. I believe this was mentioned in a thread sometime ago. Stan knows the man who was hurt. Lloyd, how bad do you want to hunt hogs? wink
http://www.thetruecitizen.com/news/2009-07-08/front_page/002.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Gil. That is an eye-opener. Also makes me value the reliability and usability of my double barrel double trigger guns even more.

Thanks for posting it.

I am glad to be here.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gil: It's not news that these animals can be agressive. I had a cat encounter about 20-years ago while hunting elk on the Wyoming border with Colorado. When hunting in certain parts of Colorado, I still carry an old Ruger flat-top .44 Magnum loaded with 300-grain pills (a favorite Montana bear load of a physician friend of mine). I assume that the Ruger would be as effective on pigs. Not wanting to pick nits, but wasn't your story about a fellow in South Carolina?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/03/13 06:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Gil: Not wanting to pick nits, but wasn't your story about a fellow in South Carolina?

You asked Gil I know, Lloyd, but since I know Doc Jackson personally I'll clarify it. This took place well into GA, near Louisville, at the old plantation called Old Town. Doc J. is partners with my personal primary care physician. We all shoot doves together from time to time at the place the attack occurred.

People just under-estimate the speed and aggressiveness of a hog as small as that. It's the ones you least expect that hurt you. They are just so darn quick.

SRH

P.S. I know it is easy to armchair quarterback, but Doc used too small a gun, IMO, which COULD have contributed to the non-fatal shot that led to the attack. He shot the hog with a .243, and eventually killed him with it, as the story indicates. Our mutual friend told him he was using too little a gun for them. Doc replied that he tried to match the caliber to the size of the game, to which our friend replied, "Doc, you can't get a hog too dead". Doc now uses a bigger gun on them. I like my .45-70 with 350 grain hollow point flat noses at about 2100 fps, and am waiting on a build price on a .458 SOCOM, which can use up to 600 grain bullets, on an AR platform.

Last edited by Stan; 12/03/13 07:02 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan & Gil: My error, I misread the map attached to the story. Yea, a .243 seems a bit light to me as well. On anything that can run both ways I tend to use bigger rather than smaller.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/03/13 07:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seven or so years ago I was bobwhite hunting. A big boar chased my erstwhile best dog Beau up a steep hill and over the ridge. I ran up the hill, shouting all the way. Before I got halfway up Beau came back over the ridge by himself. I was out of breath from running up hill and shouting and stopped to catch my breath. Then my puppy Molly chased a 50 pound pig out of plumb thicket. The pig came straight at me. I raised my gun when he was about five yards from me as I thought he was attacking me. Then he saw me and diverted. As he ran by I shot him in the side of the head with 7/8oz of 7-1/2s and he fell dead. He was about ten feet away when I pulled the trigger. It was a mistake to shoot that pig. To this day Molly still "hunts" hogs.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/03/13 07:48 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You folks in the South seem to have a number of challanges added to your bird hunts that we Northerners don't generally have to consider. I've never really appreciated that before now. I'll bet it keeps things exciting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the hogs first started showing up I carried a revolver but that got heavy and ungainly. Then two triple-ought buckshot cartridges in my hip pocket. Now I don't do either and just try to stay out of their way and keep the dogs called off of them when we do come across them.

I am glad to be here.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.