May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,702
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
You folks in the South seem to have a number of challanges added to your bird hunts that we Northerners don't generally have to consider. I've never really appreciated that before now. I'll bet it keeps things exciting?

Glock 20 loaded with Underwood 180gr slugs in Bladetech holster is very is very good insurance for those who can handle it....."pussies" should get their meat at the supermarket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you think hogs can be interesting in the daytime while bird hunting you ought to wade into a big bunch of them deep in the swamp, in a waist high canebrake, while coon hunting at night, with nothing but maybe a .22. When my son took it up, at about age 14, I bought him a set of Kevlar chaps. He came home talking about the wild hogs running in all directions in the dark, down on Tuckahoe. A bit unnerving, to say the least.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
If you think hogs can be interesting in the daytime while bird hunting you ought to wade into a big bunch of them deep in the swamp, in a waist high canebrake, while coon hunting at night, with nothing but maybe a .22. When my son took it up, at about age 14, I bought him a set of Kevlar chaps. He came home talking about the wild hogs running in all directions in the dark, down on Tuckahoe. A bit unnerving, to say the least.

SRH

For night use recommended additions to G20 are Trijicon HD night sights and Surefire X300Ultra battle light. I have high profile sights that way I can push slide back against appropriate hard object with one handed if I had to.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You folks in the South seem to have a number of challanges added to your bird hunts that we Northerners don't generally have to consider. I've never really appreciated that before now. I'll bet it keeps things exciting?

Snakes and gators are problems that I try to avoid by hunting in cool temps. Not for me, but for my dog. I know more than a handful of folks who have lost dogs to both.

GLS #347107 12/03/13 09:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS

Snakes and gators are problems that I try to avoid by hunting in cool temps. Not for me, but for my dog. I know more than a handful of folks who have lost dogs to both.

I have never had a dog snake bit during season but I have seen rattlesnakes out during season. I have had three dogs bitten by rattlesnakes during the offseason. In all three bite incidents I was just exercising them.

I can't imagine watching my dog get taken by a 'gator. Fortunately we don't have them in this part of Texas.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Glock 20 loaded with Underwood 180gr slugs in Bladetech holster is very is very good insurance for those who can handle it....."pussies" should get their meat at the supermarket.

We have a bit of a different philosophy about up close hog guns, PJ. While I don't question your ability to use your favored piece, my experience in killing a whole lot of hogs under differing conditions leads me to favor something entirely different. About the most dangerous place I hunt them is in irrigated corn. We plant it in 38" rows and the seed is spaced at about 4 3/8" apart in the row. When it gets head high and above you have an almost impenetrable mass of vegetation. Hogs love it, and lay up in the fields while the center pivots water overhead, cooling them and creating wallows for them. They knock corn down and eat at will. I go in after them by walking the narrow circular trails created by the irrigation systems tires. My choice to do this is a Beretta 390, 24" barrel, cylinder choke screwed in, gorged with 3" magnum loads of 00 buck. You will encounter these hogs at 15 ft. or less usually, because you can't see them any farther away than that. What is done must be done quick and sure. That load gives me 15 buckshot at about 53.8 gr. each, for a payload of 807 grains, and about a 5-6" pattern at 15 ft.

Sorry, 180 gr. in a handgun just ain't enough for me. If it gets really personal, I can always try to use the end of the barrel as a "holdoff" between me and the hog. I don't want him close enough to shove a pistol in his snout. YMMV.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Although some use this gun with 6" barrel (Glock offers it as hunting barrel) plus small electro-optical sight in rear dovetail for hunting I do not. It's simply wonderful choice as defensive wilderness pistol when hunting upland game or camping. It is in .41magnum territory and that is respectable stopping power in light handgun package. One must remember the G20 is light weapon and one does not need to load 15 round magazine to full capacity. For HD one simply switches to 180gr JHPs at around 1100fps (the so called FBI .40S&W load).

Oh by the way for those who want to carry few round of BK shot in pocket while carrying light 12ga game gun Federal Premium Law Enforcement 00BK is your "friend". Very nice 1145fps load with Flitecontrol wad and only $4.99 per 5 at LGS.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

I have never had a dog snake bit during season but I have seen rattlesnakes out during season. I have had three dogs bitten by rattlesnakes during the offseason. In all three bite incidents I was just exercising them.

I can't imagine watching my dog get taken by a 'gator. Fortunately we don't have them in this part of Texas.

Mike, didn't one of your dogs die from the bite? A man I know owned a big tract of land in the low country on a peninsular surrounded by two rivers. He watched one of his Britts get taken down swimming in the river. Another Britt went in the marsh and never returned and was presumed lost to a gator. One of his Jack Russells was killed by an Eastern Diamondback. It had survived several copperhead bites, but the EDB was too much. Another man was putting his duck boat in the river when his lab wondered off. He jacklighted the river and saw him in a gator's mouth, heading down river. Pretty horrible to see. Gil

GLS #347204 12/04/13 12:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plenty of gators down here. If it is warm enough for them to be active my Lab stays home. Too many three legged dogs around here already...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Plenty of gators down here. If it is warm enough for them to be active my Lab stays home. Too many three legged dogs around here already...Geo

Lucky to get out with just losing a leg. I once heard a discussion among vets on the radio and the consensus was that a dog was a three legged animal with an extra leg. wink No dogs partook or were consulted in the discussion, however. Gil

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.