May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, montenegrin), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When a fellow club member recently lamented that if only his very well-worn Ithaca Model 37 16 ga. had been choked IC instead of Full, it would make a fine upland gun, I asked him, "Why don't you spend $50 and get it opened up?" His response was a look of horror as he went on about how that would destroy the value, as would refinishing the gun. My experience with "shooter" guns is that such practical alterations or restorations have no negative effect on value as long as Bubba is not allowed to touch the gun.

Having stated the above, I've been surprised during my lurking here at how often I'm seeing what I would consider truly classic and collectable doubles being refinished and/or altered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also detecting a different view on this depending on which side of the Atlantic one is on.

I know there is no clear answer to this, but please educate me about when it might be wise/not wise to restore or modify a double. I'm thinking purely in terms of maintaining monetary value, not sentimental value or personal satisfaction.

Last edited by ninepointer; 12/14/13 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With single barrel guns, just buy another barrel, and have even more flexibility.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

certainly a difference between the UK and the USA

my thoughts- if you have something that is in the truly collectable category, leave it alone- a high condition small bore Parker or Fox for example. condition and rarity should be the guide.

But old isn't always collectable, maybe we should look to old cars as a guide- a model A Ford found left in a field is not exactly a coffin nose Cord found properly stored as new for 70 years. Maybe the Ford can be restored, the Cord is a museum piece.

but the vast majority of American guns are field grade and well used. If some repairs or alterations will give them another generation or two of life- why not?

Sidelock
Sidelock

With most pumps you can switch barrels. Unfortunately, the older Ithaca Model 37s had their barrels fit to the receiver. Given that the gun is readily available on the used market and not of particularly high dollar value I would be inclined to open up the choke and continuing enjoying it.

Just my $.02....

Sidelock
Sidelock

opening the choke of a field grade model 37 will most likely increase its value to knowledgeable shooters...except for the limited production guns such as the s and t grades, these guns have little collector value.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think a 37 is worth enough money to worry about. Choke it the way you want nor shoot spreader loads. jmho

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm afraid my Model 37 example was a poor choice as it has distracted from the intent of my post, which was to discuss doubles and their modification/restoration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
opening the choke of a field grade model 37 will most likely increase its value to knowledgeable shooters.

Wrong again. Lots of knowledgeable shooters prefer tight chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ment: an lots o knowledgeable shooters prefer open chokes...nah, nah, nah, nah... nah.

why do we have to deal with these naughty children here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nine: any non factory alterations to collectible firearms, generally decreases their value...doubles included.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.