May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (gil russell, earlyriser, NCTarheel, Guy Ave, 1 invisible), 613 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,491
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buschemann, indeed a very nice double rifle, congratulations with it.
I have seen a picture of your rifle on a preview of the GGCA calendar for 2014 that Jon Spencer have send to me, so I have seen it before you put the pictures on the forum.
Marc.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Euro Hunter,

Thank you for posting the pictures of your Anton Sodia vierling, it's very impressive; a nice example of Austrian firepower (Feuerkraft?) for sure. What is its year of manufacture? Do the two rifle barrels shoot well with factory ammunition or do you reload? Do you use Brenneke slugs in this gun or another gun?

GETTEMANS,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Euro Hunter, indeed a nice vierling, not often seen, congratulations with it. I am curious about your answers on the questions that Buschemann ask you. I while ago I have seen some nice vierlings on offer at E-Gun by the same maker, maybe it is you who bought the one you have now.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buchsemann,

have a look at the cheekpiece of this Drilling:

http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=4786271

Not as "squarish" as on your Bemesu rifle, but quite close to my eye.

This Oberhammer Drilling is old, my guess is from the 1880s.
As Oberhammer had filed own patents for Drillings, I would further guess that he made his guns in his own shop in Munich - but can't exclude he sourced from Suhl or Liege. Question for the experts...

Regards
fuhrmann

Last edited by fuhrmann; 02/05/14 07:39 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

fuhrmann,

I sure like the lines of the, as Axel explained to us, "Altdeutsche Backe" = old German cheek-piece" or a "Verlaufende Deutsche Backe" = running out German cheek-piece such as that on the drilling that you have posted for us. I'm not familiar with P. Oberhammer and hope that one of our experts has something on him. I take it the lever on the right is the selector. It would be interesting to see the details of how it works.

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have also noticed that drilling and I find it a very nice collectable piece of guncraftmanship. Sure that for his age (I also estimate the gun around 1880) he is is very good shape.
The rifle barrel is in 10 X 46 R and I have never hear of it.
Sure that Axel can clear this.
I think it must be interesting to see the proofmarks (if there are any proofmarks on the gun)
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

I also do not see how this selector works.
Peter Oberhammer opened his shop in Munich in 1872. Interesting to see that the company still exists:
http://www.waffenmuenchen.de/

In 1878 Oberhammer filed a German patent for selectors for drillings.
PeteM from this forum has found details:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=223652

However the selector in the patent drawing looks different (and very sketchy) and it's also hard to see how this one works.
The locking mechanism shown in the patent also looks "ancient", and is replaced by a more stable Jones underlever.

fuhrmann

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fuhrmann, I know Peter personaly and he put an incredible amount of work in this U.S. patent list and more anyone can consult this list for free, many thanks to Peter.
I visited the web that you mention and yes this is one of the survivers after the WW II like W. Brenneke who have his shop in Langenhagen. Furhmann, I agre with that that the patent is "different" from the pictured gun at E-Gun. I also not find info on this type of drilling in the Waffenschmied or Waidmannsheil issues that I have from the GGCA
Marc.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WowW This is the first time that I have seen PeterM's patent listing. I apparently missed it the first go around. Thank you Fuhrmann for including the link directing me to it.

Mark

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.