April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 37 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

I am a proponent of any such Lefever Guild gun as being labeled $1000 grade. Howsomever I don't think that just because we are using the name of the epitome of the Lefever that we have to faithfully duplicate the original finish, checkering pattern and engraving.

My thinking is that at the time the $1000 was Lefever's version of a best gun and the new one would be just that, a newly made "Best" gun. As for the exact specifics of the configuration it would be just what a thousand dollar gun was back them: exactly what you want crafted at the highest level. I don't think it would have to have a specific engraving pattern. It doesn't have to have gold. It doesn't have to be stocked in Turkish. The $1000 Grade just has to be a fine gun finely executed to the buyers specification.

My two pennies in the pond.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first shot at posting images...since Ken mentioned Cecil and this piece of wood, I thought to try to post a picture of it...has nothing to do with Lefever shotguns, old or new..but

Last edited by Baron23; 04/04/07 07:37 PM.

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baron that is gonna make a beautiful stock!

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are the pictures Cecil provided. The blank is tad darker in overall tone than this, which is what I was looking for. The fiddleback has a much more pronounced look than the pictures show.

In all, I think he sent me pics of over 20 blanks to sort through. I narrowed it down to five and he sent me more detailed photos of those so I could make up my mind. I am sure if I had wanted, he would have sent me over 100. He really is good to work with.

I have an old Lefever stock sitting here. I played around with some different layouts on this blank. All I need now is a H.E.& F. Lefever to put this one on Mr. Ken. It has already been drying for 7 years, I guess it might be ready...

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great looking blanks y'all ! I know you'll be one of the first to send in deposit for LeFever Mr. Pete. However, From what I hear from others, looks like it might be a race to see who gets check in first.

Steve hasn't had the time to spend with this board --- He has been working bight and day trying to get out the commissions on hand so he can loosen up some time to start taking hundreds of measurements for LeFever project. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon. Best to all. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wouldn't "Special Order" be appropriate for identifying the grade? In rereading Elliott's book it seems to best describe this offering.
Ken, what type of forend release are you planning? clamshell or pushbutton? Also wondering about the toplever?
Keep us posted.

Dave

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave, sorry but no decision on either count. Another matter that requires feed back. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
kgb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been hoping for someone to reproduce/continue the LeFever guns, and this past year finally bought a LAC 12ga just to see the firearm for myself. Since gripes are freely aired here, I'll start with the disappointment that it'll be the LAC guns vice the later DM LeFevers for a piece-project. False sideplates are nice, but since they don't add anything except engraving surface while complicating stocking efforts and possibly result in a relatively weaker stock/receiver connection, I'd like the idea of the later guns. They might even add weight although it'd at least be somewhat centrally located. Plus, it appears there would be no legal issue with the name. I know, waaaaaaaah. : )

As for the rest of the specs, the combination of 16ga, twin triggers, fixed choke barrels of 28" and extractors falls right into how I would desire such a gun. It's what I'd look for in an original if I were to shop for a shooter to keep.

As for the name, simply "LeFever" or "LeFever Gun" would do. It would be a continuation of a design, and just as Galazan makes M21's as a continuation of their production without the Winchester name (optionally), it's the design that matters.

Any idea what it would cost to replicate B-Grade or higher engraving on a LAC gun? Oh, yeah, I vote to keep the cocking indicators!

kgb

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any word from the Etalians on the question of barrels? Cost, numbers needed, ect....

Page 28 of 37 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.