March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Cold1, CJF, Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, AZMike, 1 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats Dan! You really come up with some treasures.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

Regarding your rifle, you say that it was determined to have been done by Ross King due to the fact that Michael had seen another King rifle with the roller installed.

Do you know if that other rifle was a match rifle, or a sporting rifle?

The bolt knob checkering on your rifle appears to be a band of checkering around the knob. From reading Michael's information on Ross King, he said that King's bolt knobs were checkered like Wundhammer's, a circular pattern on the underside of the knob, but with courser checkering.

Do we now know of another checkering pattern on King's bolt knobs?

A very interesting rifle, I have one with similar characteristics.

Thanks and best regards,

What Cheer

Fair winds and a fast ship.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Cheer,
I missed your response the other night. The other Ross King rifle with the roller is a 30-06 that was in Michaels possession and was more of a sporting rifle than a target rifle. I don't believe that it had DST but just the roller on the issue trigger. I do think that the 06 had the same bolt checkering as this 22 but I will have to go back and try to find that info.
Is your similar rifle a 22 or 06?
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

WC,
I just found my photos from Michael about the King rifle and his rifle does have the same bolt checkering as my 22. He said that King changed from the Wundhammer style to this. I also confirmed that the 06 did not have DST and was a sporting rifle.
Dan

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

Thanks for your reply to my questions.

My rifle is a 30/06 heavy barrel international match type, with double set triggers.It does have the roller installed. The bolt knob checkering is a circular pattern on the underside, Wundhammer style.

My rifle has a square hole in the forward part of the guard bow, which I have always believed to be the second anchor point for the palm rest attachment, along with the threaded hole in the forward trigger guard extension. My rifle has the threaded hole also.

Does your rifle have the Square hole in the guard bow?

The checkering on the pistol grip on my rifle is very similar to yours, follows the curve of the grip, Wundhammer, King style.

The checkering on the forend is much like your rifle, as best as I can tell from the photographs. One thing, the checkering does not exactly wrap around, but is separated by a thin border line on the under side of the forend.

Does your rifle have this thin separation border?

Thanks, and best regards,

Rick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick,
Yes, the 22 has a square hole in the front of the TG. And the forend checkering does have a thin solid line down the center to separate the two sides. Sounds like your rifle is a mate to the 22.
Are the DST from a Mauser like my 22?

How about some photos of your rifle.
Dan

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

The comparison of the two rifles is very interesting.

I have had my rifle for many years and have tentatively identified the set triggers as having been made by Hammerli. Either four or five lever type. It was a major undertaking to install these triggers in a M1903, but was done very skillfully, and they work very well.

The Lyman 48 receiver sight on your rifle appears to have 1/4 minute adjustments. I do not know for sure when the 48 became available with adjustments this fine, but I believe it was later than the time period of our rifles construction. My rifle has the same sight as yours, and I have always believed it was upgraded at some point. As Herschel posted above the rifle(s) were owned by a serious competitor.

The butt plate for my rifle is same type as yours, however is made of brass and painted black. It mounts with two screws in the same holes as the M1922 butt plate, which I keep on mine as it makes it easier to shoot from the bench.

I may have missed it but is your butt plate aluminum, or nickel plated brass?

Rick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick,
Yes, the 48 has 1/4 min clicks but only the knobs were changed and I assume that was done by a recent owner for shooting. You only have to change the knobs to do this and the staff is from the orig period. The butt plate is brass.
Is your stock a remodeled Springfield or new made?
You say yours has a heavy barrel, are there any marks on the barrel that might indicate who made the barrel?
Dan

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

Understand about knobs on a Lyman 48, mine came to me with the 1/4 minute clicks, and has had these knobs for at least 30 years.

The stock on my rifle is a modified M1922 (not an NRA Sporter) two stock reinforcing screws, and a recess for the cut-off have been added.

The pistol grip and cap treatment on my rifle is like yours,the grip is left full and tapers down on the bottom to the size of the cap.

My grip cap is horn, oval shaped, tapering on the sides to a flat oval on the top. Center mounting screw.

How does this compare with the cap on your rifle? I am unable to determine this from the photographs.

My receiver is a Springfield Armory M1903, 1921 production.

The barrel is by H.M.Pope.

Rick

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

I forgot one thing, my rifle has the J.C. Garand high speed firing mechanism.

Best regards,

Rick

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.