May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (CJF, ClapperZapper, SKB, Skeeterbd), 280 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,558
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will single digit temperatures hurt an 85 year old gun?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I live in Canada. Lots of single digit temps. So I sure hope not!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Humidity is more important than temps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cold tempratures wont affect the gun but the performance of cold soaked ammunition loaded with slow burning powders such as Blue Dot will be degraded.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Much depends on the way the locks are oiled. Too much of lube, or the lube which goes solid at the temp, and you might have dry fires. Age doesn't have anything to do with that.

On the contrary, in real freezing cold, say below -25 C., I'd much rather be shooting a hammer gun than a modern semi - if it does have lube problems, you've been had for the day, while a dry fire in a hammer gun is easily checked by re-cocking the hammer and having another go. Most shells which won't fire due to weak lock will go off the second time.

Ammo, as noted above, is affected too. Basically, when it's real cold, most plastic wads have problems, either with breaking in the barrel or, most commonly, with obturation problems due to being too stiff. Fast powder and fiber wads (felt is best) are the way to go.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was thinking that the old lacquer could shrink and crack.
Also, the receiver metal could shrink and put stress on the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
Cold tempratures wont affect the gun but the performance of cold soaked ammunition loaded with slow burning powders such as Blue Dot will be degraded.

An instance of this "Fact" is what turned me OFF to low pressure loads of 7625. This in a load that was between 7K & 7.5K. I can only imagine that had it been down in the super low range of 5K - 6K the charge would not have cleared the barrel.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure about the laquer.
But I know folks who do their shooting in the Arctic, with temps as low as -40C, and they don't report any metal-wood shrinkage issues.
You're advised, however, to avoid the warm-cold-warm-cold temp changes to your gun as much as possible. The folks I mentioned above, while in tundra, keep their guns outside at all times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never had any problems with mine in the cold. I suspect shooting them a lot in triple digit heat is actually harder on things like lacquer and wood.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

not as much as it does an 85 year old gunner

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.