Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

I'm posting this here also in the hopes that I might find someone that can provide some history on the A&M Rifle Company.

I found this beauty on the Internet. When when it arrived I was absolutely thrilled to see what I purchased.

It was listed as an; "Atkinson & Marquart Mauser .475 A&M Magnum" with the description; "...a Custom Gun built by A&M.....Fancy hardwood stock.....Oak leaf and acorn Basket Weave Carved..... w/ rosewood Pistol Grip and Forearm....." etc., etc.

And here is what I received;

A Custom rifle built by The Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Company (as marked on top of barrel) - in original 475 A&M Magnum caliber (as marked on left side of barrel) - built on a French M300 BREVEX action - with a Custom Mesquite Stock - with Black & White Line accented Rosewood Forend and Grip Cap - with Oak Leaf & Acorn Basket Weave Carved by by Nils Hultgren. Rifle has a 22" heavy A&M Barrel with an integral Pendleton Muzzle Brake, and integral Forward Recoil Lug under the barrel. The sights are A&M Custom 2-leaf Express Sights w/ each leaf adjustable for both elevation & windage. Whistles and Bells include a Hand Engraved Floorplate with Cape Buffalo w/ a Custom Floorplate Safety Lock, a Canjar Match Trigger, and an Engraved Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay in the Grip Cap.

The Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay is engraved "J D L" - and the top of bolt release is engraved "1972 J.D.L." I'd like to know if anyone has an idea who "JDL" may have been. I'm sure he was in the Big Bore gun game in the Late 60's into the early 70's.

Please help with History about A&M as I've found very little. As always comments and opinions are always welcome.

What thrills me the most about this rifle is the story associated with the 475 A&M Mag cartridge and Fred Barnes. It appears in Cartridges of the World. (see red highlighted text)

I got an email yesterday indicating that the A&M Rifle Company supplied 17 caliber barrels for the O'Brien Rifle Company, and that Nils Hultgren did the custom stocks for O'Brien. I guess that explains the A&M / Hultgren connection for the stock on my rifle.

Now if only someone could tell me who J.D.L. was. My internet searches keep coming up with Jewish Defense League but I really don't think this rifle was built for them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it possible that it's not JDJ for JD Jones? He was president of SSK Industries that did a lot of cartridge development a ways back.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob Saathoff,

No, its JDL allright. It appears in 2 places.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack Lott. Wrote a lot of articles for Guns and Ammo on big bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guess not. His middle initial was "P."

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello RDH45,

Maybe the folks at A&M miss read his handwriting and engraved a "D" instead of a "P". Easy enough to do?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle is pictured in the '74 G&A Annual, p.174, in an article by Lott, part of a "mini-series" on .475s. The stock is attributed to Shaw's.

HTH- Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like you can rule out the late Jack Lewis of Gun World. "Jack" was his middle name C. Jack Lewis.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Wapiti,

Well that's really something. Its my exact same newly acquired rifle. I only wish the article by Jack Lott had given details to when, and for who made. The only info about my rifle was the information in the captions. Maybe it "was" made for Jack Lott and they "did" get the middle initial wrong.

It looks like this article may bring the Nils Hultgren connection into question. I need to do more research. So I wonder, who was Shaw?

Sidelock
Sidelock

E.R. Shaws is a long time gun outfit in Bridgeville PA. that has been doing primarily re/barreling, metalwork [e.g. bluing, bolt handles, drill and tap, magazine and feed ramp alterations and stock work to a lesser degree. They now manufacture their own line of rifles on Savage Actions. They originally got their start during WWI, manufacturing Machine Gun Barrels under a Navy contract. They do good work at affordable prices. HTH Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.