April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, fab500, SKB, Fudd, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In light of the 'Fingers' thread, I thought I'd go ahead and share this disaster.

A Remington 1894 A grade with 'Oxford 2 S.J.' which was being shot only for the second time. The owner shot Gun Club reloads using a MEC 9000. The event occurred on shooting the incomer at Skeet station 7. Bystanders heard an abnormally loud report and actually came to investigate. A physician and PA were in the squad and provided immediate First Aid. Fortunately, the forearm is healing well and without apparent sequelae.

I will be receiving the piece and barrel this week for a post-mortum with careful measurements of wall thicknesses of the remains. Another piece has not been located. The owner quite understandably declined to allow the right barrel to be subjected to destructive testing.
Only two shells remain in the box, and the owner intends to open and weigh the powder in the remaining shells from that reloading session for another possible double charge.
I will post more high resolution ultra-close up images, but several fractures are apparent and they do NOT appear to follow a ribband weld line.
I very much appreciate the opportunity to evaluate the barrels and might send them for MagnaFlux testing. If I had a spare $500 I would ask H.P. White to proof the right barrel.
I am NOT a metallurgist so any other recommendations for testing are most welcome! Is there a way to determine if the wall discoloration is rust/oxidation?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There have been reports of Gun Club steel HEAD separation, but neither Gun Clubs nor STS have a two piece/separate base WAD

Sidelock
Sidelock

no metallurgist here either, that discoloration is interesting since it does not cover the entire area

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Drew,
I find the picture of the plastic shell casing still sitting inside the chamber to be of interest. It appears as though the crimp refused to open properly, leaving the charge to find another avenue of exit. Such an assumption is obviously problematic. Then there is also the issue of my not really being an expert on anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no "expert" or metallurgist either but it sure looks like the barrel was already in the process of letting go based on what looks like oxidization that had formed along pre-existing fractures. A lab with a high power microscope should be able to identify the tell-tale "beach marks" of fatigue if this failure was in process over time rather than an abrupt event. I must add that I have never examined such in Damascus steel. If the staining is indeed oxidization I would prefer hearing that such came by way of fatique fractures and not that which could be associated with pitting. The latter could make any fan of Damascus barrels a tad nervous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at the rust on the inside of the chamber wall. It's the same color as the broken edge areas. I'd say also the same age, so the SG wasn't kept dry afterwards

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the Damascus. The fact that the cartridge case has taken on some of the Damascus pattern on the outside indicates to me a classic overloaded round. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"the cartridge case has taken on some of the Damascus pattern "

Good eye mate and my opinion also smile Again, I hope to post better images soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read an interesting post some weeks back that was actually quite old. The fellow who posted had experienced a similar type failure after shooting a shell that he said had been rolling around in his vehicle for some period of time. He speculated that the gun powder had indeed become very fine powder from the action of rolling around in his vehicle, which in turn changed the way the powder had detonated. Unrelated to this situation, but the thought prompted me to gather up all of the loose shotgun shells in my truck for disposal.

Buchsemann, can you explain how these fatigue fractures would have occurred? Would one possible cause be the use of high pressure loads? The barrels might not have failed catastrophically at the time of use, but instead formed tiny cracks which then accepted moisture, leading to rust?

Do we all need to get out the microscope to take a closer look at our barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Observing the wound, I assume the puncture was done by a fragment and not gas. No burns can be seen.

From the picture, the wall thickness appears sufficient. The crimp probably opened correctly but when the barrels failed, the gasses went multi-directional, thus blowing the crimp backwards and melting it somewhat. If the powder charge was doubled, odds are that the case would have ruptured and burst closer to the head. My picture estimate would be metal failure. It must be remembered that barrel bursts can be caused by a conglomeration of problems. Too hot a primer, slightly more powder, loose base wad, heavier shot weight, etc.

I don't see a bulge that indicates a bore obstruction.

Just some thoughts.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.