April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gartenmeister, SKB), 174 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,713
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first question to ask when looking at the discoloration on the metal would be how long after the incident were the photos of the damaged gun taken. If the gun laid uncleaned for a period of time it could be rust that formed then and have nothing to do with the rupture itself.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Destry and Keith are correct. I just communicated with the shooter, and when the blow out occurred the gun was dropped to the ground landing in snow. After dealing with the injury, other Club members picked up the gun and the one piece of barrel that could be found. The event occurred on Tuesday, and he did not recover the gun until Friday and found the hull and chamber to be wet and there was already rust on the chamber and barrel wall.

He will send me his reload recipe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd wonder about the load too.

Even if the gun laid out, there still seems to be distinct differences between what may be preexisting oxidation and fresher appearing cracks. It really doesn't seem to follow any of the pattern in the barrel.

Just thoughts, thanks for showing it Doc Drew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case. I'd say this is a pressure or obstruction issue for sure.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was wet and sat around for days, nice. I am looking forward to seeing Drew’s “high resolution ultra-close up images” just out of curiosity. Perhaps it was a “one off” and the shooter just 1) placed bomb in chamber 2) pulled trigger and 3) spent quality time with physician. If not high pressure alone any ideas as to what a possible obstruction might have been? Are there any other tidbits of information missing from this … incident report? There are bright fractured surfaces as well as stained. Were other pieces broken away days later?

Anyway, after looking at the pictures again the shooter was quite lucky, things could have been much worse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The disinformation in this thread really does our American made Remington's reputation good. Now let's see some pics of those hallowed manure fork Brit guns that get blown to hell.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
The disinformation in this thread really does our American made Remington's reputation good. Now let's see some pics of those hallowed manure fork Brit guns that get blown to hell.

Yup, film at 11:00.......

Most educated people I know would have called and got all the facts correct first, knowing they have contact information, or have access to contact information, for the shooter or witnesses, before posting all this misinformation, just my opinion.......Takes all kinds to make a world though......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

An STS/AA compression formed hull will develope high pressure a lot faster than a straight wall case...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.

Yup, film at 11:00.......

Most educated people I know would have called and got all the facts correct first, knowing they have contact information, or have access to contact information, for the shooter or witnesses, before posting all this misinformation, just my opinion.......Takes all kinds to make a world though......

Care to elaborate on that statement? The OP offered no "disinformation", only the picture and basic facts. Others offered conjecture based on their own observation of the image at hand. As such, I'm going to assume J.R.B. has inadvertently misapplied his terminology by suggesting that someone was deliberately spreading false or misleading information for some manipulative reason. That, or he just doesn't know what the word means.

The new information was gained regarding the rust on the barrel only after other people observed the discoloration. There was a debate about the presence of the rust and a possible causal relationship, until finally a plausible alternate hypothesis was proposed. This led the OP to seek the further information which, for the time being, appears to at least partially debunk the notion that the barrel failure occurred as a result of some inherent flaw with old, damascus barrels. I'm neither sure how that outcome is a detriment to anything Remington, nor aware of how a more educated person would have proceeded differently. I would even say the collective conversation which has taken place has been helpful and informative, unlike the previous two posts which were only offered with the benefit of a little hindsight and certain malice.

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
In light of the 'Fingers' thread, I thought I'd go ahead and share this disaster.

A Remington 1894 A grade with 'Oxford 2 S.J.' which has been shot regularly for several years with Gun Club and STS reloads using a MEC 9000. I need to ask the reload recipe. Event occurred on shooting the incomer at Skeet station 7. Bystanders heard an abnormally loud report and actually came to investigate. A physician and PA were in the squad and provided immediate First Aid. Fortunately, the forearm is healing well and without apparent sequelae.

I will be receiving the piece and barrel this week for a post-mortum with careful measurements of wall thicknesses of the remains. Another piece has not been located. The owner quite understandably declined to allow the right barrel to be subjected to destructive testing.
Only two shells remain in the box, and the owner intends to open and weigh the powder in the remaining shells from that reloading session for another possible double charge.
I will post more high resolution ultra-close up images, but several fractures are apparent and they do NOT appear to follow a ribband weld line.
I very much appreciate the opportunity to evaluate the barrels and might send them for MagnaFlux testing. If I had a spare $500 I would ask H.P. White to proof the right barrel.
I am NOT a metallurgist so any other recommendations for testing are most welcome! Is there a way to determine if the wall discoloration is rust/oxidation?

Drew,that certainly does look like interlaminar rust at the break. I am glad that your injury was not more severe. It's interesting that the hull seems to have the impression of the Damascus pattern.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.