March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Borderbill, damascus, Jason Dubois, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I normally prefer the safety aspect of a break open gun (easier for everyone to tell it's unloaded), for new shooters if organized sporting clay shooting is going to be on the agenda my vote goes to a 20 gauge gas operated autoloader & particularly if the shooter is of small stature as most young shooters are.

Several times I have been on a sporting clays squad where small statured shooters (one was an adult woman & the others were children) shooting break open guns could not open the gun & have the bbls clear the bar across the front of the shooting station & at some point in the round they turned around and faced the squad to open the gun.

This is an extremely dangerous situation & in the case of the woman shooter she had only fired one bbl & had a live round in the other bbl with the gun pointed directly at the squad.

Obviously these are cases of extremely poor gun handling, lack of concentration & or proper training & supervision but the point is that they were set up to fail with guns that they couldn't safely handle in a situation they were put into.

I think they would have been much better served by a well maintained 20 ga autoloader both from the aspects of ease of safe handling & lower perceived recoil. I say well maintained because I've observed malfunctioning auto loaders bringing up other unsafe gun handling issues & not always from children or novice shooters.

Also, I would consider a .410 of any type to be a handicap for a young shooter. I might consider a 28 ga but I see no advantage over a 20 ga with light loads.

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Put me in the Model 1100 20 ga. column. Put a good Kick-Eze (sp) pad on it and the kid will have a shotgun with low recoil that he can use for everything but ducks & geese. Start him off on the Skeet field at low seven and progress from there. He'll get excited about hitting targets and before you know it he'll be out shooting dad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike the Bear says it all.
1100 20 Ga with a kick-Eez.
I, for one believe McIntosh was right when he said ".410 is a miserable [censored] of a gun."
I have a 28 Gauge I start kids on. It is head and shoulders better than a dang .410.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

At 7 I would stay with the .410 and enjoy the experience. He will enjoy the 4 wheeler and the camo probably ore than the shooting of wild game ...... let him shoot a dove n the tree or cans on the ground..

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you go with a 20 in anything other than a Semi-Auto I recommend Fiocchi Trainer Loads or a hand loaded equivalent.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I started my kids and grand kids on a sxs 20ga using very light hand loads at first to make sure recoil wasn't a problem for them. Also, chose to wait until they were large enough and strong enough to handle a 6 lb gun before moving to shotguns from .22s and .222 rifles. By the second season they were ready to handle the commercial 20ga light loads or my quail and dove loads of 3/4oz.

Because I learned on a H&R hammer single 16ga which weighed about 5lbs and the highest brass duck loads my dad could find it was well established recoil is a factor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
A clays shooting instructor told me that he likes to start women and children off with an 1100 20 gauge, cut butt and barrel cut to 24" or so.

Not all 1100 20s are created equal. My second gun was a brand new 1100 20 gauge built on a twelve frame given to me by my father. It weighs 7-3/4 pounds (I still have it). He gave it to me when I was twelve and I didn't hit anything for three years. It was much too heavy for a twelve year old.

Was the reason for your lack of success the gun or that you had not begun your shooting lessons with Mr. Wood? A goo teacher makes all the difference in the world.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK - I've spent an hour looking for an 1100 LT 20 youth model online and it seems they don't exist. Discontinued years ago and I can't find one listed on any of the auction sites. I can find a youth stock for sale - I assume I can put that on a regular 1100. Do the youth models ever come up for sale?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I purchased a 20g. Charles Daly Semi Auto (gas)youth gun in black with 20 or 22" barrels and changeable chokes (it uses
Remington chokes). It weighs 5 1/4 lbs. I purchased it for my late wife who found the weight of other guns to be too much for her to handle well. I loaded light 7/8 loads and she shot it well. I have since used the gun to introduce several women to shotgun shooting and it has worked well for them. Recently, my grandson, who is short and slim for his age successfully used that gun to pass his hunting test here in NJ. He is ten. It is now his gun and he shoots it well hitting crossing targets. Some youths are big and strong and some not. The light weight and reduced recoil of a semi is what I was after. For my grandson, I started with 3/4 ounce loads loading only one at a time.

The Charles Daly may not last as long as a Remington 1100 but I bought it new for around $300 and it has served well with no problems. I am sure if it was still mine, when I no longer needed it I could have gotten more than half my initial investment back so I am happy I bought it for this particular purpose.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gwsmith
OK - I've spent an hour looking for an 1100 LT 20 youth model online and it seems they don't exist. Discontinued years ago and I can't find one listed on any of the auction sites. I can find a youth stock for sale - I assume I can put that on a regular 1100. Do the youth models ever come up for sale?

Yes they do:
But they are in high demand for obvious reasons. You'll just have to be patient and persistent and I'm sure you'll find one.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.