April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Longknife, dogon, KDGJ, Kolar Dickson, 2 invisible), 227 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,770
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-Piper, I'd like to see pictures of your Infallible triggered gun. I have 2 L.C. Smiths - one a 00 grade 12 and the other a field grade 20 with Infallibles installed.

The 00 grade was my first double and also the reason I signed up on this board back in '99 (I think). Many hours were spent trying to figure out what it was, as it is unmarked inside and out. My 20ga is marked "Infallible" on the trigger blade just below the frame.

I also have a copy of an early Infallible catalog. I will start a new thread with pictures if anyone cares.

I should apologize for a mild hijack of this thread...

Bryndon

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like a parts cleanup gun. Scraping the parts bin to finish up the last of the inventory bought from Lefever. I wonder if Ithaca ever intended continuing to make Lefevers after the purchase or just wanted to eliminate another maker and use their name later on the special.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One thing I just noticed--the struckout/struckover numbers on the sideplates and action are the same....65818....hmmm.....if you had almost all the makings of a gun why change the numbers?

Last edited by Joe Wood; 02/10/14 01:10 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, could it be an apprentice was just practicing his numbers ? Look on the backside of the ejector hammers ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a theory, but I suppose that the over-stamped number 69818 could have been discovered to have already been used on another gun in the production process. After all, they are only 51 numbers apart. Quite likely that they were built during the same week. Two mixed up work orders, perhaps, and a little steel erasing to correct the error. Perhaps the error occurred with one being started in Syracuse, and the other started during the transition to Ithaca. We'll likely never know. Maybe an employee even got to purchase the over-stamped gun at a discount.

The F on the barrels is no surprise. There are many Lefevers that have barrels which are stamped a grade higher than the gun. But I have never seen one with a barrel stamp of a lower grade. It seems they would occasionally use higher grade parts to complete an order, but never do the same using lower grade parts. This may also explain some of the DS grades that are seen with dolls head barrels, cocking indicators, and LACo. monogram buttplates. You might get more than you paid for... but never less.

Some may recall that several years ago, an Optimus and a G grade both appeared for sale on Gunbroker at the same time, and both had identical serial numbers. What are the odds of it happening in the first place, and what would the odds be of both showing up on the same internet auction site, at the same time 100 years later? This anomaly caused some to question the authenticity of the Optimus, but experts who examined it agree that it was legitimate. The same guy wisely bought both guns. Hopefully, they will never be parted because they make for a most interesting Lefever mystery.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Optimus you are talking about was sold last week. I don't know if the G went with it.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Just a theory, but I suppose that the over-stamped number 69818 could have been discovered to have already been used on another gun in the production process. After all, they are only 51 numbers apart.

Keith, they're 3,949 apart

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Originally Posted By: keith
Just a theory, but I suppose that the over-stamped number 69818 could have been discovered to have already been used on another gun in the production process. After all, they are only 51 numbers apart.

Keith, they're 3,949 apart

Holy crap Joe, I glanced at the numbers and read 69818 instead of 65818. 69818 minus 69767 would be 51 numbers apart. My math was OK... but my eyes put my foot in my mouth. So much for that theory. Thanks for the correction.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.