May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (j7l2, R Reynolds, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 421 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,822
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe bust up a covey. Take a clear shot if one separates out, or set a shot off so the dogs think you're in the game, then hunt singles. More fun and dog work than trying to spot them and ground swatting 'em.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Ted I have a different model of bobwhite replenishment.

And as a young man I twice hunted coveys to extinction, shooting the last birds when I knew they were the last birds. I had hunted those coveys for years. Knew their habits. I assumed when I shot the last ones that they would come back. They didn't return in the six years before I lost the lease. If I only hunted my leases only five or six days per season then my impact would be negligible. But I hunt them much more often that. Several times I have seen hawks successfully or unsuccessfully prey on bobwhite.

In my experience, mostly in ranchland, bobwhite coveys are like tribes. They have a territory, they have rally points they go to, they go to one area of their territory during a rainy time, another during a drought. They interchange members with other abutting coveys I understand as they have been tracked with radio collars. My birds are flying low this season. I assume that is in reaction to raptor predation. I hunted bobs in the Abilene area last week and they tended to fly much higher than the birds on my lease. Only saw one Cooper hawk while I was in the Abilene area. Saw two yesterday afternoon on my lease.

Since it is my practice to just take two birds per covey on that hunt when I take them with one shot then there is less dog work. Obviously I am not subsistence hunting but hunting for the joy of it. I view it as a waste of a bird when I kill two with one shot.

I am looking for ideas on limiting collateral damage based on the belief (maybe incorrect) that the number of birds I kill out of a covey has an effect on the population and survivability of that covey.

Will you be hunting this lease 6 years from now? How 'bout 60 years from now? 6000 years from now? 60,000 years from now? Try to wrap your head around this-there were bobwhite quail in that area, 60,000 years ago. And a few of those coveys went extinct back then, with no help from you, or, Joe.

Funny thing about men, they think that their impact on the natural world and the order of things in it is significant over the course of their individual lifetimes. And, I'm pretty sure it just isn't so.

You have taken steps to avoid wanton slaughter of what remains of the quail population. Good on you. It is a noble effort, but, the 90 percent figure I threw up earlier is a cold, hard, and well researched fact.

I won't argue that you may be hunting a lease too hard-only you can determine that. But, if conditions are right (and, I suspect, that in the area you are hunting, for a variety of reasons, they are not) birds will move back into an area they formerly did, but, no longer use.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted I don't doubt that I have a negligible impact on the continent's population of bobwhite.

I don't doubt that I do have a significant impact on my birdlease's population. I gave my case above.

I don't doubt that I have a negligible impact on the continent's population of bobwhite in the year 2030.

I don't doubt that I have a significant impact on my birdlease's population of bobwhite next season.

Between me and my late father we had one lease from 1966 until 2002. I have had this lease since 2004. I have hunted the same coveys year after year, decade after decade. Human predation of bobs can matter in that lease area.

My current leases are 4700 acres and 6300 acres. If I hunt out a covey in the middle of one of those leases a new covey does not instantly spring up in its place the next season. The loss of that covey is negligible in the overall population. It is significant to me.

And I go again to the tribe analogy. The covey has to live through Summer and Winter, nesting predation by 'coons, live bird predation by hawks, drought and flood. They have a system worked out. When there is water standing at the bottom of a certain draw they will always be in that area. When in drought they hang out in a plum thicket three hundred yards North. Before the rancher lets the cattle in they like the grassy ridge. After it is grazed out the bobs move to the bottom of the draw. But that knowledge is passed from generation to generation of bobs. And as bobs don't live through but two or three seasons that covey can go extinct in a hurry.

If I do shoot out a covey there is no doubt that, in a year or twenty, a new covey will start there, survive the learning curve and figure out a way to make a living. So yes, any vacuum I cause will be filled. But if it happens after me and my dogs are dead then I screwed up. Thus the desire to maximize the number of times I can shoot a bob over my pointing dogs leads me to look for a shotgun and load that lower the chance that I will kill two birds with one shot.

Thanks for your comments. I remembered some things I had forgotten in the process of trying to make my point.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/12/14 02:19 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And I thought I was the only one with this problem. For me it became obvious that my guns fit too well, my loads are too lethal, I have been spending way too much time shooting clay targets honeing my skills and the birds were just plain unlucky. In lieu of changing any of the above the only rational choice is to stop shooting birds on the covey rise and only persue the singles.

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 02/12/14 02:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,Mike,
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's been my observation that Ted is correct with the following caveat. Changing land use is more damaging than anything else in my area.When the open pastures and fields with the edges created by the terraces,fencelines,and creeks/branches gave way to big pine tree "orchards"(plantations), the birds went away.What really happened, I think,was it took a much larger area of this kind of land to support a covey.However, when the trees get larger and are thinned a couple of times,the land can be agressively managed for birds.This can be pretty expensive and be beyond the means of many hunters.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems clear that there are two schools of thought here:
(1) What difference does it make in the long term?
(2) I'd rather conserve my brood stock for better weather conditions so when the rains return my flock will recover faster.

Mike obviously follows the latter principle. The best two suggestions so far are forego the covey shot and chase singles, and alternatively to reverse roles with your shooting student and learn to shoot badly...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Mike:

I took this picture on the lease yesterday. Trees aren't a problem.

The population of the 900 square mile county is 3,200 so encroachment isn't a problem.

The land has been ranchland for about a hundred years so no land use changes.

Craig, Pilgrim, and TwiceBarrel - all good suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/12/14 03:12 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
and alternatively to reverse roles with your shooting student and learn to shoot badly...Geo

Good idea George. I think I could closely simulate his shooting by closing the eye over the barrel. If that doesn't work I will try closing both of them.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/12/14 03:14 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
And I thought I was the only one with this problem. For me it became obvious that my guns fit too well, my loads are too lethal, I have been spending way too much time shooting clay targets honeing my skills and the birds were just plain unlucky.

Glad to find someone else afflicted with these circumstances. Unless someone has experienced this they just can't empathize - isn't that the way you find it Twice?

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/12/14 03:19 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
It seems clear that there are two schools of thought here:
(1) What difference does it make in the long term?
(2) I'd rather conserve my brood stock for better weather conditions so when the rains return my flock will recover faster.

Mike obviously follows the latter principle. The best two suggestions so far are forego the covey shot and chase singles, and alternatively to reverse roles with your shooting student and learn to shoot badly...Geo

I would say:

1)I agree with Ted that what I do doesn't make any difference in the long run in the total world population of bobwhites.

2)I believe what I do this season on my lease can and often does make a significant difference in that lease's next season's crop of birds.

Ted and I just disagree on the time that Nature takes to fill that abhorrible vacuum I create on my lease when I kill too many birds or shoot out a covey.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/12/14 03:34 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.