April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Ted Schefelbein, Jtplumb), 182 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,046
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

A self-imposed limit is a noble gesture, the mark of a sportsman, and probably shows how much you and Joe have matured since your ground-sluicing, how many can we kill teen age days. It won't offset the amount of chemicals sprayed in farming areas nor the loss of habitat which I believe has contributed to the quail decline. Throw in the feral hog problem along with feral housecats on top of natural predators like bobcats, coyotes, raptors, etc. and the bobwhite quail is in trouble. Compare Mexico's population of quail and ask yourself what the difference is between here and there. Go hunt with a nice .410 double gun if you're worried about pattern spread; makes a nice excuse to buy another shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't mind the care required by a long haired dog, standard poodles can be great gun dogs. Their intelligence can't be questioned.

anecdotally, a couple generations ago I lived in New Orleans and had a standard white. I never thought about hunting her. On walks through Audubon Park I would come across people training their gun dogs and I would strike up a conversation. The recurring story I heard was of a guy who had two standard blacks that he entered in trials. The only question about his dogs was which one would win first and which would get second. Years later I was casting about for a wire haired pointed and by chance bought one from the poodle guy. He said the poodles belonged to his wife and he trained them for field work on a bet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pick out one bird and go for him. The worse shooting slump I ever got into was after having a string of doubles, I decided I would only shoot for doubles. Not only did I start missing doubles I couldn't have hit a barn if it jumped up. I guess the secret to good shooting is not to think too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
I guess the secret to good shooting is not to think too much.

Amen brother pooch. Thats why I'm so lethal and my dog is so talented...he dosen't think much either.

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 02/12/14 10:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point Mike, (no pun intended) good point!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 22 smooth bore I will sell you, that might just be the ticket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO if you step-up to a 16-20 bore, shoot 7-7 1/2, and let the birds on a covey rise get out a little more, increasing the likelihood you have all the birds in the covey in the air when you shoot the first time, you will not double-up with late risers coming up into the pattern. That's about the only option at present you haven't considered. Normally, wild birds are not dallying around much, so giving them a little extra time should do the trick.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Shoot cocks birds only and don't worry about it. Gotta be good!

On The Wings Of A Dove
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
It seems clear that there are two schools of thought here:
(1) What difference does it make in the long term?
(2) I'd rather conserve my brood stock for better weather conditions so when the rains return my flock will recover faster.

Mike obviously follows the latter principle. The best two suggestions so far are forego the covey shot and chase singles, and alternatively to reverse roles with your shooting student and learn to shoot badly...Geo

I would say:

1)I agree with Ted that what I do doesn't make any difference in the long run in the total world population of bobwhites.

2)I believe what I do this season on my lease can and often does make a significant difference in that lease's next season's crop of birds.

Ted and I just disagree on the time that Nature takes to fill that abhorrible vacuum I create on my lease when I kill too many birds or shoot out a covey.

Ted never quoted a time frame for which this would happen. But, I did point out the all too obvious (something I'm really good at) actual problem, which is the fact that most of the good quail habitat has become far less so. Including, your's.

I also suggested you read a book by an author who tried to make his farm into quail shangri-la, and when it was all over, came to different conclusions on how/why or even if, that is possible.

You can attempt to stack the deck, in the quail's favor, but, in the end nature can be a cruel minx.

Good luck, at any rate, and in the end, it will matter very little to nothing what gun or ammunition you shoot.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

This has been a very entertaining thread! Nice work guys and lots of good advice!!

nid-28
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.