March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, today I visited a small german gunmaker and trader who mentioned that he has some british doubles, one of them he never has seen before. Of course I'm curious and asked him to show me the guns. One is a 12 Gauge Frederic T. Baker back action sidelock in nearly mint condition. Surely one of the lightest 12 G I ever handled (see picture of the watertable, better waterhole…)
Any informations on this gun are welcome. The others are a fine pair of Westley Richards Boxlock ejector in their leather case and another WR Sidelock also in her case. All guns very, very good condition. They belong to a gentleman who got ill with Alzheimer and now his wife and her advocates, give the guns to the dealer because of german laws. (she is not allowed to own them) Now they probably will go to Holts auctioneers (german represantant) A sad story but beautiful guns.

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful gun and nice pictures. Thank you

Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl, do you have any idea what the price range is?

I'm sure, it's more then my budget… ;-)

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, I think one can go back into the archives of Holt, and a few others for prices. Bakers come in various configurations and actions. The uncommon thing in my eyes was a highest grade gun in fine condition. These actions show up on guns from several makers, so the Baker is not unique in that way.

Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! Yes, I've seen similiar locks on Charles Lancaster Doubles. I will have a look at the auction results. Any idea of the date of make?

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only thing I find for F.T. Baker in Boothroyd is that "Young Churchill then sought fame and fortune in the big city, working first for F.T. Baker in Fleet Street before he set up on his own at 8, Agar Street, Strand in 1891."

Sidelock
Sidelock

As to manufacturing date, page 48 of Nigel Brown's Vol 3 has a list. I did not see the serial no. in the pictures. Some, I think, had the date in Roman Numerals on the trigger guard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My F.T. Baker has the manufacturing date engraved in a ribbon on the sides of its Anson and Deeley action in Roman Numeral scrip; and the only time I've had the opportunituy to use what I was taught in grade school regarding Roman Numerals was ehen I deciphered the date on this gun, 1883. It's a beautifully engraved (100% fine scroll) light weith straight grip 12-bore with a forend release as depicted on the abovbe example. Although I've bagged more game with this double than any other I've ever owned (was the only double I owned for several years during my hunting prime); the safety on this piece also cost me lots of chances. It has a sliding safety on the left-side cheek face, which is not a bad location at all; but to take the gun "off safe" requires the slide be pulled (not pushed) back towards the shooter, a totally un-natural reaction for me when jump shooting game. Have no idea why the safety device on this gun was designed in that manner; and I've not seen another.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Needham patent action. First patented ejector system. (I'll fine-tune that when I can get to my books). Joseph Needham, I believe.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/14/14 06:46 PM.
Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found this about The maker:

Baker Frederick Thomas Baker. The son of Thomas Kerslake »Baker, this gunmaker continued to make sporting guns and rifles from premises at 88 Fleet Street, London, England, from 1858 until 1900 or later. London directories list additional premises at 21 Cockspur Street, S.W. (1882–98), and 29 Glasshouse Street (1899 and later). The name has also been reported on »Eley made shotgun ammunition marked “Baker’s Best”. Trading may also have been undertaken in Birmingham.

On this Site:

Guns & Gunmakers

That means The Gun was built before 1898.
Gunwolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.