May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (bsteele, Argo44), 588 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,508
Posts545,633
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#357915 02/16/14 10:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, I've gotta few questions regarding my Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon.

1) the gun has fixed chokes... Is there enough metal to have chokes other than thin walls installed? Who other than Briley can do this? They are pretty high. Also, would it be possible to have the barrels threaded for Mobil chokes?

2) Tell me about the engraving. How much hand work goes into these guns. This is an older gun from the 90s if that matters. They're advertised as being hand "chased"... How much "chasing" actually occurs?

3) while shooting sporting clays this weekend I somehow managed to scar up the bottom of the grip. Any ideas on touching it up?

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could reach out to Cole Gunsmithing. They have probably answered both of your questions more than once. Nice gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, I would get Briley to do the choke instalation. They may be a little higher but re-sale value will be better since you can get additional choke later if you want. They keep records so they know exactly what gun and what chokes to use. They are the best!
Tru-Oil will cover those scratches or at the Grocery store they usually seel scratch cover for furniture. I have used it to cover scratches.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be easy to purchase a second set of factory original Beretta barrels with factory original screw in chokes from Cole's for this over and under. You even see these Beretta O/U barrels for sale on ebay frequently. Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
I think the quality of your engraving is better than this later model Trap Gun that I owned. No apparent hand chasing done on my gun. As far as the finish......typical crappy Beretta finish that show's white when scratched...kind of tough to repair. I wouldn't worry about it, When you get enough scratches and dings to annoy you, Refinish with oil....

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would live with the fixed choke barrels until I could find a set of Mobilchoke barrels. Any other solution would be adding money to an old gun that you will never get back. No one that I know of will thread your barrels to the Mobilchoke pattern. If you find someone, let me know. I have two guns that I would like to have threaded. Don't grind your chokes out. The original barrels are chrome plated and the ground out chokes will rust.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jent P Mitchell lll
It would be easy to purchase a second set of factory original Beretta barrels with factory original screw in chokes from Cole's for this over and under. You even see these Beretta O/U barrels for sale on ebay frequently. Good Shooting To You, Jent

+1.

If you do a search, there are some earlier threads about hand chasing. The engraving on the early 687 EELLs is much nicer. I had one awhile back that I should not have let go.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard that the barrels for the EELL series were made in the "SO shop" and are of very high quality. Can anyone confirm this? If true it may not be a good idea to use screw chokes.
The finish is tough stuff and you need to wet it to cover. I would try tiny amounts of anything reasonable to kill the white.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

EELL's are not made in the custom shop. The old ASE's were though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The EELL that I purchased was a single barrel trap gun. I purchased a set of 32" Optima Barrels from Joel Etchen and got away with only having to time the ejectors and fit the forearm. It was my go to SC gun until the top barrel blew about 3 inches ahead of the chamber while shooting five stand at the club. No one was harmed. frown

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.