April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (ithaca1), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't help you there because my Remington has a J-hook forend latch, yours has a button.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those inserts are an attempt to stop the forend wood from splitting down the middle. I see that they only sorta worked. I also note that your stock head is split. Remington doubles are wonderful guns but every single one I have ever seen has the stock head spreading laterally apart. The metal acts as a wedge to drive it apart. Modern epoxies can fix this and prevent it happening again. Good luck on your project. Very worthwhile gun to repair and use.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yep, will be repairing the stock crack with NOTHING visible on the exterior. Epoxy will be the adhesive of choice.

I will epoxy that insert in place to help it do its job.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24 Doug repaired my Remington stock and it's better than new. Some where on here are before and after pictures of it. Enjoy your Remington. smile

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Numrich/Gunparts sent me the wrong ejector hammer. The sent the one for the right barrel. frown Of course I didn't figure it out until I had the ejector mechanism apart..... Did give me a change to give the bits the good cleaning they needed. Put it back together with the broken part, as I would forget where the parts went by the time the replacement part shows up.

So a week or so until I can get it back together and work on the fitting. Still waiting for the mainspring.

Pics for the curios.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
FYI that hammer mainspring has to be hand fit for length so it trips your ejector mechanism for that barrel properly. Too long and the ejector won't work.

Okay, let's talk about fitting the spring for proper working of the ejectors.

I reassembled the shotgun today with the new ejector hammer. I did NOT install a new mainspring as I never ordered one.

Some good luck, as both ejectors now work and are well timed.

The problem is that the right barrel will trip without firing the gun as you open the barrels to their FULL OPEN position. That final, tiny bit when you have to push the gun open against spring pressure. As you can see in the pic, the mainsprings extend quite differently from the frame.

I have some ideas about this, but will just ask: What do I need to do to keep the right ejector from tripping unless the barrel has been fired?

What I have tried to show is the following:

1) Right mainspring extends much further from the frame.

2) Right ejector trip in forend sits much deeper into forend iron.

EDIT TO ADD:

I am impatient and so moved forward.

Using marking compound, I started removing material from the longer mainspring. I had to remove enough that it is just a tiny bit longer than the left.

It is now my opinion that someone had attempted to repair this shotgun in the past. The gun had clearly been apart before. It would appear they ordered a new mainspring, but not the ejector hammer.

Gun now functions properly, with well timed ejectors!

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 02/24/14 06:00 PM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

PM sent Utah Shotgunner. smile

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If your stock is split like mine was a simple epoxy repair may need a little help. I placed a metal staple in the stock to give it more support and prevent splitting again. Got the ideal from Master Gunsmith T..

If you need ejector hammer springs they are always for sale on EBay. Just do a simple Remington 1894 search. I have found a lot of 1894 parts on EBay. Picked up a ejector fore end and extra fore end parts recently for a pair of project guns. When you get into project guns like these you just need to pickup parts when ever you come across them. It is very easy to sell them later if you find they are not needed. Great pictures by the way. I bet when that case color was new it was spectacular.

Also dudleybm a seller on Gunbroker has a few Remington 1894 parts and Fox as well. Parts are where you find them

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
If your stock is split like mine was a simple epoxy repair may need a little help. I placed a metal staple in the stock to give it more support and prevent splitting again. Got the ideal from Master Gunsmith T..

wink

Mike
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Nice looking repair. I bent my stakes inward to draw the wood together. Probably made no real difference but it made me feel better about the repair. Your second staple is an improvement over my one I suspect. If mine fails I will have to upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.