March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am a sucker for classic varmint rifles. I grew up reading of people like Lindahl, C.C. Johnson, Donaldson, Smith, and of course, Griffin & Howe, and Niedner. In particular, I am a sucker for those built on converted 1922 Springfields. The magazine G&H made for them is just amazing in how well it feeds the little hornet case. And yes, I believe that the bulk of these repeater conversions to Hornet were done by G&H with the exception of the very first few that were done at Springfield Armory. Many were converted by various gunsmiths as single shots. Sedgley also made a repeater conversion, but it is very different from the G&H and does not seam to be nearly as plentiful.

Anyway, the following rifle showed up at my door step the other day. SA 1922 ser# 412. Barrel date 12/28, so likely not the original barrel.

First the good, bore is in decent shape, looks to have been a little rusty at one time, but is cleaned up pretty good. Finish on the stock and metal is original and is very good condition for a 80+ year old gun. The stock is the armory stock that has been restyled likely by G&H. Some of the G&H stocks have a very distinct point formed where the stock meets the grip and this point fits neatly between the forward points of the grip checkering. This stock has that feature which is not particularly common on the reworked armory stocks in my experience. The magazine feeds the hornet case as it should.

The bad. The rifle has been through at least 2 different scope set-ups. The side of the action has 5 plugged holes from a G&H side mount. Whoever plugged them did a good job, but whatever steel they plugged them with does not take cold blue. The receiver ring and bridge have both been drilled and tapped. The receiver ring would not bother but they drilled it at 5/8" centers rather than the correct 7/8". The bolt handle has also been altered and the stock cut accordingly. And, it has been converted to K Hornet. Not a big deal for a shooter, but it does hurt the value. And the front sigth has been removed. I put a Lyman on it for now, but it really needs either the original Armory sight, which G&H did leave on a lot of these rifles, or a G&H banded front.

And the ugly. The bolt handle, ugly as sin. Have to do something about that. The stock has a chip in the heel, and the buttplate has gotten rusty at one time and stained the wood where it meets the buttplate black.

Not sure where I'll start with this one. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

GAS:
Here's my 1922 M1 Hornet Single Shot, remember it? Started out as photo 1, ended up after a little elbow grease and a Lyman Steel Tube All American 4x, with Photo 2. Trigger job with a stone and it shot a .463 last week with cheap ammo from Privi Partisan. GOOD LUCK with the rifle. Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the bolt handle with corresponding stock mod bothers me the most.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, what is that scope mount on the single shot?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore: They are WARNE MAXIMA ALL STEEL WEAVER STYLE, solid as a rock. $33 AND CHANGE at Optics Planet or Sportsmans Guide. About $50 everywhere else. HTH Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is my 1922 M1 one of the first to be converted to Hornet at Springfield and had the stock built out of an issue stock, by someone at Springfield Armory. The high comb and cheek piece are glued together so well you need a magnifying glass to see the joint. The rifle was originally built for 1st Sgt. L.C. Gentner winner at Camp Perry in 1930. It is in good shape, it has a front sight blank in the dovetail and an integral custom made Quarter Rib scope mount 3/4 in in diameter. I have an early Weaver 4x C series with exposed adjustments mounted on it now. It shoots a regular .390 @ 100 yds. This rifle weighs 9.2 lbs. and that lends to its' accuracy. Both 1922's are a joy to shoot.Thought you might like to see the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, You can get oxalic acid wood bleach at a paint store that will remove the rust stain from the buttplate.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Elegant

you asked ...

plug extra screw holes and blue to make invisible
then enjoy

bolt takes too much work and your eyes might get "adjusted"
I'm ignorant but I assume it is not typical G&H bolt work?

I'd be happy to give it a new home.
Yeah, the more I think about it you would be wise to get rid of it before the bolt haunts you.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know what you can do with the holes in the top of the receiver ring, that would look very good. For the G&H holes in the side have you considered just re-installing a G&H mount? Certainly would take care of that issue. If the bolt handle is unacceptable then you will need to replace it. I don't think its that bad, IMO. (Understanding I am looking at one pic that isn't a close up)

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is always a sort of crossroad on rifles like this and I really like these armory stocked rifles. That said I will just play "if it were mine." The K Hornet chamber is the biggest issue of all for me, so without that sleeved or rebarelled I would do a plan B overhaul. I would tap and plug front ring, re-install G&H mount (7/8") and I would want to reconfigure bolt and stock cut. I would clean up butplate do my best on wood at butt and have fun with it. Oh..... And nothing wrong with K hornet I just don't want one. I think mine is about a $500.00 project. Nice rifle and I like it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.