March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It seems like 4-5 yrs ago, I first heard the theory that collectable double guns values would fall when the old guard passed on.

I'm not a collector so I don't move in those circles and probably don't see many of these guns.

Some big collectors have passed on in the years that have passed since I first heard this theory.

What do you think? Is there a discernible drop of values?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm 37, and I just bought my first classic American double in October. If I had more money, I'd have another 20-30.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my eyes:

Small bore graded Foxes are substantially up.

Small bore high grade Parkers are flat.

The last James Julia auction contradicts my last statement. I was astounded at the high (my opinion) prices all the Parkers went for.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/22/14 11:20 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who knows? Everything these days changes on a dime. I'm a hunter, wouldn't think of myself as collector; that is, "into" collectibles. Yet I've got a dozen good guns, mostly classics, and in terms of increasing values or as investments, I think not. Gaspipes trump sentiment and aesthetics. Doubles are oddities hereabouts, uncommon on store gun racks, and our shared economies will not remain as robust as they were. They're in decline now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's eventually inevitable in the broad market for good double guns, maybe not so much for high-end collectibles. Supply will increase as demand/market size simultaneously shrinks. But I don't think the change will be plain to see for another 10 years or more -- when today's middle-aged gun guys with money to spend have filled their safes with great value buys of the guns they like. When those safes start emptying out, there won't be enough fans of those guns around to keep prices from falling.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there's a decline. Julia liquidated 4 or 5 very substantial collections last week. Prices were robust. People whine that there were no bargains.

The Class 3 crowd wrings their hand wondering the same. They have politics to worry them also. Julia auctioned a Colt 1921/28 overstamp last week for over $60k. It had some nice accessories, but that still is out of sight.

So don't be pessimistic. Buy today. It will cost more tomorrow.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several stocks that are up 400% plus over the last five years. One stock is up 300% in little over a year. More blind luck than brilliant investment strategy. None of my guns are up anywhere near that amount, or perhaps at all, in the real world.

The "recovery" is very spotty and tends to be localized in many areas, if it has happened at all. If it has hit where you are God bless you and if not hang in there. We get older every year and the need to sell our estates will wait for no man. As investments guns are a dog in most cases, as things to enjoy and pass on to others when done with them they are good as ever.

Small bore doubles are getting very pricey. Have you seen what a 16 or 20 AE Fox or a .410 Smith go for? And do not even think about a 28 anything in a classic American double. High grades when the sell go for respectable dollars but they do seem to linger on the net for a long time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Enron stock hasn't recovered yet. And still waiting on Lehman Brothers.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There seem to be plenty of model 21s in 12 gauge, with 30" barrels and a pistol grip, that people think are worth in excess of 5 large.
The market doesn't seem to agree, however.
The reason for an auction is not to create bargains. It is to maximize the ratio of buyers to sellers, and create higher prices. That record high price you see for something sold at an auction should be taken with a grain of salt.
The really little guns, in really little gauge, are a market all by itself, with no basis in reality.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I collect English blackpowder double rifles and in the late 60's and 70's there were plenty available coming in from India. I was young at the time and could only afford one cheap double at the time. I remember seeing a table at the Ohio Gun Collectors show in the early 70's that had at least 10 blackpowder double rifles on the table that were $500.00 EACH. A gunsmith from England had brought them over after going over each one. They have been a good investment for me over the years, but I do wonder when the well off guys who bought the high class stuff start liquidating their collections, who will be there to buy? Not very many young people have any interest with collecting anything! I still think there will be a climbing market for the high dollar double rifles, as they have world wide appeal. I hope I am right as I am betting on that instead of the stock market!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.