April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fudd, Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, skeettx, Birdog, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
On a vintage gun...

1. add a rubber recoil pad
2. add a rubber recoil pad
3. add a rubber recoil pad
4. add a rubber recoil pad
5. cut the barrels

Oh, and I'll even add a 6th one

6. add a rubber recoil pad

So what do you do if the stock's too short? And on quite a few vintage doubles, a recoil pad was a factory option: Parker, Elsie, Fox, Iver Johnson. And "period" pads are available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
On a vintage gun...

5. cut the barrels

So what do you do if the stock's too short? And on quite a few vintage doubles, a recoil pad was a factory option: Parker, Elsie, Fox, Iver Johnson. And "period" pads are available.

They're only too short if you intend to shoot them. From what I've seen that's waaaaaay down on the list for most "vintage" gun owners. In fact, shooting isn't even a consideration for many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On a vintage gun...

5. cut the barrels

I should get a pass on this, I am 6'4".
CHAZ

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
On a vintage gun...

5. cut the barrels

I should get a pass on this, I am 6'4".
CHAZ

Yes, you should. Further, there exist a lot of very useful, utilitarian shotguns produced in an era that had men of smaller stature shooting them. While the purist would look at the leather covered pad on a Purdey and pronounce "that is how it should be done, on all guns", the cost of that fancy pad could be three times the worth of said utility gun.
I'm not a fancier of pads myself, but, I don't feel too bad replacing a white line Pachmeyer of any vintage with a more subtle sporting clays model on a gun that will see some use.
The thing I hate seeing perpetrated to a double of any sort is not a modification at all, but, an abuse-slamming the action closed. I see guys pounding the hell out of their guns at the club all the time.
I don't say anything. But, I cringe when I see it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Find a gun that fits you, or add something that is removable that doesn't alter the original stock.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

...or add something that is removable that doesn't alter the original stock.

Um, like a recoil pad?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very good list by many and some points of modification can be argued and I definitely would never do.

Everyone is entitled to do with their's as they will and I defend your right to modify to make it suit you. Though the result is not one I would ever want to touch. Use of ONE'S PROPERTY is a RIGHT, unfortunately good judgement is an obligation many don't adhere to.

For me the Worst Things You Can Do To A Double is not use it. This is why I honed my collection down to the guns I actually use and feel my freer for having done so.

The greatest tragedy for me is a mint condition double from the golden era that noone ever enjoyed save maybe looking at it. It is both an opportunity to have a gun in original shape and be able to use it. For me it is sad when they are not used as designed.

An unused fine double is both an opportunity and a sadness.

Last edited by old colonel; 04/01/14 05:04 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
...or add something that is removable that doesn't alter the original stock.

Um, like a recoil pad?

Yes, if it's removable. Problem is, there are a lot of guns having the ends of the butts hacked off to have a permanently installed extension added. IMHO, hacking off a buttstock to add an extension is just as bad as cutting a couple inches off the barrels to make it a good "brush gun". Both procedures are permanent, and I view every vintage gun that I own as nothing more than being in my possession for a very short period of time. Future owners will be glad I didn't do anything drastic to them. However as another posted pointed out, they are your guns, do what you want with them.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

sell it to bubu

Sidelock
Sidelock

What? I cut the barrels, Loctited full choke tubes, put sling swivels, and a dayglow bead on, camo taped, and ported the barrels on a 12 ga-----oh wait this was a Stevens 311. Now a turkey gun. Also reamed the chambers to 3". Not loose ----yet. Recoil will loosen tooth fillings, but a slip on pad helps--didn't want to ruin the collector value.

hippie redneck geezer
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.