March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am in the process of researching a Charles Lancaster,0ver and Under box lock.The gun in question is a 16G ejector, with single trigger, Serial #013519.I believe the gun may have been made in Birmingham circa 1920 and perhaps finished in London.
Dose any one have any manufacturers literature /information to share on this Lancaster model and /or the identity of the actual maker?

/

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/09/14 08:11 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy , was there not a Lancaster over/under started in Germany ? I am away from my books, so cannot verify. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you forgot to post a pic.

Lancaster O/Us, sidelock (this is an awesome gun, btw):

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1754-sca...rrel-set-59252/

Boxlocks, both 16gs:

http://www.hoferwaffen.com/hofer_10g.php?pid=46&cid=&lang=en

and

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Lancaster.jpg

The boxlocks look Belgian to me, like a boxlock version of a Defourny-patent O/U:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20d/a%20defourny%20a%20j%20gb.htm

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure that Geofery Boothroid started the "German action" myth regarding Lancaster O/U's. There are some similarities with the "typical" German action because of the basic needs of the O/U system. Although Lancaster O/U's are quite rare, I've seen a few, both boxlocks and sidelocks. There is no reason for Lancaster to start with a "bought in" action for their top of the line gun when they had some very good gunmakers working for them. I've seen 12, and 20 ga. actions, and all are undoubtedly "one off". I believe their total production of all types and gauges of O/U's is fewer than 30.

Best,

Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Mal,
What makes these Lancaster look Belgian or German is the crosspin location below the barrels. That design makes the action look tall and not so elegant (IMHO).
Moreover, the barrel lump protruding through the action to push the Purdey bolt back is not helping either.
Trunion mounted pivot points make such equipped guns much more attractive (to me). A close second would be the Cordy floating 1/2 pin system.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

hello roy,
unusual for yourself to be short on info! hope you get what you need.
mal, i always understood lancaster o prefix numbers to be "bought in".
cheers
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah - but if they were built on Lancaster's own design, why didn't Thorn patent it?

According to Boothroyd, Thorn did come up with a design for some O/U ejector work which he patented. So why not patent the rest of the gun? Thorn was obviously interested in protecting his creations.

Also Boothroyd mentions a letter in The Field stating that the actions came in-the-white from Germany. Apparently there was some dispute in the trade surrounding the guns's origins.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD,

There was nothing new or patentable about the action itself; unless you count the "humpback" top tang attempting to minimize the visual height of the action. It didn't work! Possibly rough forgings came from Germany; but lockwork and finishing looks to have been done in London. Sidelocks have the distintive "Lancaster" shaped plates. Examples that I have seen are all marked "Patent Ejector".

Best,

Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah. OK. I see what you're saying. They're basically SxSs, flipped on their sides. Nothing new there except for the ejectorwork.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. W martin,

You are most probably correct. I'm not anywhere near my referances.

Best,

Mal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.