May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,336
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I just went to the NRA Annual Meetings in my hometown of St. Louis. I think it was the largest yet, the ranks were filled with both young and old. It was, a good sight!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geoff Roznak
Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
On another tack, I was at a gun show last weekend and the "black guns" were flying out the door. I'm no prude, but I see no use for weapons like that in the public sector. People are scrambling to buy them so they get grandfathered in when they get banned again, this recent incident should ice that one.

OK, Zumbo Jr.....

Ouch!! That hurt.

Ok I'll just go back downstairs and do some rust blueing now. Let me know when I can come back upstairs.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 04/17/07 10:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I posted it before I saw your well thought out reply.

Consider it withdrawn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No harm done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
These are just squables within our own shooting sports - when our backs are against the wall - we'll stick together - I'm sure of it!

Very true, very true.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well...as long as I am here....

King, you have hit dead on. The Auntie movement has its modern roots in the 19th century, around 1840. However the German [Austrian?] author of Bambi was militantly anti-hunting, and his illustrated book was an international best seller between WW1 and WW2.

Disney wonderfully adapted the story to antimation, and the rest is the history which you cite. Walt set out on that project with an anti-hunting agenda, which the company keeps to this day.

Most interestly, in a recent conversation with tw, of this board, he did a survey in his workplace some years ago, to find out how many folks still had rural roots. That is, relatives or close people who still earned a l;iving from the land. Out of 173, exactly two people could claim that remaining tie.

He said when he spoke of cooking rabbits or hunting doves, both good ol' country traditions, that the employees looked at him like a man with two heads. Between the vastly changed cultural matrix, the unprecendented moulding of it by entertainment propaganda, and the desire of the prosperous classes for their own continued comfort and security against the un-prosperous classes, then that the world which we once knew and valued for its goodness is a fading shade.

The new electronic world will be as different as a two-horse farm wagon is from an eight-wheeled tractor. The same land [sorta], but a new civilization: for better or for worse. As a fellow named Wonko the Sane usta say around here: "I'm glad I'm old, so I won't have to live to watch all that buxxshixx." :~`)

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget Bambi you can still see the anti-hunting stuff in todays cartoon features like "Open Season". Although I live in a city where the males are feminized my son is male and all male. He loves to play guns, wrestle, and compete. As long as he's my son I'll encourage him to do those activities in a sportsmanlike manner.

I have no need for a para-military firearm now but I may need one in the near future so I'm going to buy one this week in anticipation of the idiotic response to the madman's criminal killing spree. Additionally, I'm going to obtain a concealed carry permit in order if I ever encounter such a demon at the mall I can dispatch him before he hurts others.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gentlemen,

My position on this subject has, for the most part, already been expressed by many here. I am responding to be counted among those who have expressed dismay at the notion that the "gun culture" had anything of consequence to do with this tragedy. First- I would point out that the perpetrator, I believe, only owned his guns for two months and if when he was suspected of mental problems by his professors had been properly examined, may never have been able to buy them. Second- the anti gun culture was definately involved here! They made the serious decision to mandate the campus be gun free and then failed in the implied promise to protect those on campus. It is my firm opinion that once this decision was made the college administration and campus police became directly liable for the deaths of the innocent students and faculty by their halfway measures. What they did compares to tying the hands and feet of some one trusting you and then taking them for a ride in a boat with one big structural flaw. I am furious of the lack of action taken by the police in this matter! To commit these unarmed people to this environment then stand outside waiting for the gunshots to abate is criminal! The very idea that those who promised to protect these students did not even enter the building until this crazy man had done his worst, is to me a betrayal simular to a parent abusing a child! And then for some to blame it on a "gun culture" to evade their own complicity in this event is shameful. I use as support for my position the surviving victims on the Virgina Tech campus, young men and women the very age of our troops in Middle East. Our soldiers are rushing through doorways into darkened rooms in attempts to save lives and bring peace, while here at home we tell them "you don't need to worry we will protect you"- then stand out under the trees and wait. This is the standard that we are to live by? They will tell us that the problem they have protecting us is what goes on outside the campus boundry, the city limit, or the state line. Does anyone really believe that once the anti gun culture has its way we will be inside and safe? Did you get or anthrax vaccine yet? Your lawmakers did.

Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even if he had been found to be mentally unstable he would still have been able to buy those guns by saying NO to certain question in the paperwork. That's
The only guy on this board who could have made a difference would be KYJon using this trusty AH Fox.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might be wrong, but if he had been legally determined to be mentally unstable it would have shown up during the instant background check.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.