May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marks_21, graybeardtmm3, PALUNC, Southern Sport), 1,075 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,515
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
VPNAVY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Picked up this puppy (think it is a 12 Gauge) and trying to understand it markings and history. It will be nothing but a wall hanger. I can't explain it - but I really love its looks and feel. And yes - I know this puppy is probably fake - but, it is still old! smile Anyway - any help would be great!

I have included some pictures - if you can help ID the markings - that would be wonderful.

The rectangle on the barrel says (I think): Laminated Steel

Thanks!

Last edited by VPNAVY; 04/15/14 07:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's Belgian, per the top mark in your 4th photo. Lots of cheap Belgian guns imported in the late 19th century, many of them stamped with a name that sounded like a famous gunmaker. W. Richards does require a closer look, because in addition to the famous Westley Richards, there was also a W. Richards who made guns in Birmingham. But the proofmark tells the tale on this one.

VPNAVY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks a bunch L. Brown. So I now know it was made in Belgian. I guess the "STAR over N" is the maker's mark or could that be considered fake as well? I guess the "estimated" age is gone forever.

Anyway - thank you so much for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the barrels are marked Laminated Steel like this, but are Twist

Remove the forend and post images of every mark on the barrel flats and bottom of the barrel and we might be able to date the gun. The star over N is a inspector's stamp, but does not reliably date the gun.

Courtesy of Researcher
The Sept. 26 1889 issue of Forest and Stream reported a test of H & D Folsom's cheapest doubles and observed... “W. Richards” that nonentity in the gun trade, was stamped on the plate, but they were really only those cheap bits of ordnance which come through our custom houses, pay a duty of 40 per cent., and yet may be placed on the counters of the gun shop at $5 a piece. Forest and Stream has already in past times expressed its opinion about these pestiferous products of the penurious population clustered on Belgian soil.

If 'Belgium' is not found anywhere, if might date to pre-1891

“Synopsis of decisions of the Treasury Department and Board of U.S. General Appraisers on the construction of tariff, immigration, and other laws, for year ending 1891” http://books.google.com/books?id=L_xDAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA1207&dq

It has been the custom of manufacturers to stamp fictitious names of individuals and other trade words, such as "Richards," "Western," "U.S. Armes Co.," etc., upon the lock plates or on the ribs connecting double-barrel guns imported at your port from Belgium; that in a number of recent importations of guns from Belgium there is a conspicuous absence of any words to indicate the country of origin, but on the contrary words have been found which represent to consumers that the guns are either of English or American manufacture, thus nullifying the object and intent of section 6 above referred to, and under these circumstances you request further instructions from the Department as to the marking of guns imported not only by Boker & Co., but by all others, whether in store or en route.
As it appears that it is practicable to stamp the name of the country of origin on the guns, you are hereby authorized, under and in pursuance of Department's decision of March 18. 1891 (Synopsis 10832) to deliver the guns covered by this and subsequent importations only upon such stamping, the language of said decision being that "where articles of foreign manufacture required to be marked under the provisions above referred to were ordinarily stamped at the time of the passage of said act, the name of the country of origin should be stamped thereon."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you'd be very close dating the gun in the 1890's.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
VPNAVY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
...the barrels are marked Laminated Steel like this, but are Twist...

Bingo Drew Hause - that is exactly what it looks like.

Remove the forend and post images of every mark on the barrel flats and bottom of the barrel and we might be able to date the gun.

I am new at this but if I can figure out how to remove the "forend" without destroying it - I will take (and post) some pictures.

The star over N is a inspector's stamp, but does not reliably date the gun.

Dang - wasn't even close when I said "Makers Mark!" smile

Thanks again for all your help.

VPNAVY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I think you'd be very close dating the gun in the 1890's.

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a quick method to clean up the barrels, as they look like twist. If they're fluid steel disregard. This method brings out the contrast of a pattern welded barrel, not restoration by any means, but a quick and dirty clean up suitable for wall hangers. It will have little effect in areas where the bluing has worn off, such as above the fore end where the hand usually gripped it.

First, go over the barrels with a rag soaked in Lacquer Thinner. This is to remove the old varnish. Then, go over them LIGHTLY with 0000 steel wool and bore cleaner. This is meant to remove surface rust and old remaining finish. Do NOT rub hard enough to "silver" the metal. Next, degrease with acetone and let dry. Now comes a mild etch. on a hidden area under the fore arm, rub a small area with white vinegar (or a mild boric acid solution) and a clean soft rag to see if the barrel contrast comes out. This only takes around 30 seconds or so. Have a rag soaked in a baking soda solution ready to wipe on to stop the etch. If the bluing is still present, the pattern will come out, if not, stop at this step. If successful, etch the whole barrels, quickly, using a well soaked vinegar rag. It's important to apply the vinegar quickly over the whole barrel, so the etch is even. Rub the whole barrels for around 30 seconds or so, then switch to the baking soda rag. Clean the barrels with water and dry with a heat gun/hair dryer. Repeat the etch process if desired, but one is usually all is needed. When finished, you can either oil the barrels, relacquer with neutral base Watco Danish Oil, or paste wax them. (six coats of NuFinish wax is what I use if the gun will be outside in the sun) This is a basic "clean up" for pattern welded barrels that works well for me, I just did it to a Baker Batavia Leader this weekend, it really brought out the barrel pattern.
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
VPNAVY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Here's a quick method to clean up the barrels...

Thanks - will let ya know how it goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

'W. Richards" was one of the names J.P. Clabrough used for his inexpensive guns.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.