March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Licensed to kill, Karl Graebner, bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel), 897 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has been a sad week. To see my beloved alma mater ripped asunder and all those wonderful lives cut short by that freak. And before the echos died, Fat Rosie and her ilk will start the old lament against my rights.
But, maybe we Hokies won't be the impetus they want. The very first victim had been to the shooting range with her boyfriend. Suppose she hadn't been in a gun free zone. If she had had a gun, could she have made a difference? We will never know, but by enacting that law we ensured that law abiding young lady would die. And 31 more. Just last year, a VT student WITH a carry permit lost in his bid to overturn the law keeping him and any other law abiding citizens from having protection.
The politicians keep dodging the fact that by definition, criminals do not obey the law. Stick that in their face, every time. Ask them why haven't 20,000 laws stopped this slaughter.
But today, please just pray for the Hokie Nation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Virginian,

My daughter graduated from Virginia Tech in December, 2001, so I raised a Hokie, although I'm not a Hokie myself. Ironically, she lived in Ambler-Johnston West her first year and spent her remaining years as a resident of Harper Hall, the dorm where this killer lived.

Other Hokies include my nephew, who graduated in 2000, and many of my friends growing up.

I live only 80 miles from Blacksburg. With my connections to the university I feel a very personal loss with these tragic events.

Governor Kaine said this event should not become a "hobby horse" for those special interests with an agenda to promote. Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking.

No amount of gun control can prevent the outburst of a maniac. That's the long and short of it.

We should all be aware, in 2002 when a deranged student tried a similar shooting at the Appalachian School of Law he was subdued by two students armed with personal firearms. What are the gun control freaks going to say about that????

Appalachian Shool of Law Shooting

The gun control people can't deny that. Your thesis is sound. If the victims in Ambler-Johnston West had been legally armed, or if other residents of that dorm had been so armed, this rampage might have been nipped in the bud.

Curl

I grew up in Roanoke which is just around the corner from Blacksburg and graduated from VMI. This event hit me hard for some reason despite the fact that I have no invlovement with any of the victims or families. I did not mean to start an argument the other day when I posted a response to the "We are in for it now" topic. I just wish that BOTH sides of the gun control issue would let it go long enough at least for the families to somewhat get past the event. I cannot know, but hope that they can go on with life even though something like this can never be forgoten.
The larger issue for me is that this country has gone so far to protect each individuals rights that an extremely disturbed individual like this guy can keep going until he explodes. Where are the rights of the innocent bystanders now? He took them.

I'm a shooter, my son lived in Ambler and has classes in Norris.

This debate needs to stop for now, but as long as it has nine lives......I don't want a bunch on young dumb testosterone laden college kids (including my 3 sons) carrying, or their friends carrying on a campus where this kind of thing is a billion to one likelihood. While kids do stupid things hundreds of times a day on every campus without ending or disasterously altering thier lives. Kids need to do stupid things and learn some stuff the hard way, bruising is inevitable and it heals. Bruising is a good learning experience, bullet holes are not.

Dorms are not a good place to store pop tarts let alone guns.

Advocating students carrying on campus exposes gun owners as irrational cowboy wannabees. Why arm the antis with that?

If you want to advocate carry laws go ahead but leave this disaster out of your preaching. It does not help your cause.

Last edited by Jeff Mull; 04/20/07 08:53 AM.

Jeff
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, this as you say "billion to one likelihood" event resulted in 32 tragic and senseless
deaths.

If you are to be prepared to excercise your right to self defense, you have to be prepared always.

I agree it may not be the right time, but....

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jeff Mull
I'm a shooter, my son lived in Ambler and has classes in Norris.

This debate needs to stop for now, but as long as it has nine lives......I don't want a bunch on young dumb testosterone laden college kids (including my 3 sons) carrying, or their friends carrying on a campus where this kind of thing is a billion to one likelihood. While kids do stupid things hundreds of times a day on every campus without ending or disasterously altering thier lives. Kids need to do stupid things and learn some stuff the hard way, bruising is inevitable and it heals. Bruising is a good learning experience, bullet holes are not.

Dorms are not a good place to store pop tarts let alone guns.

Advocating students carrying on campus exposes gun owners as irrational cowboy wannabees. Why arm the antis with that?

If you want to advocate carry laws go ahead but leave this disaster out of your preaching. It does not help your cause.

Very well said.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know about VT, but isn't there issue with excessive consumption of alcohol on some campuses. Do alcohol, young age, and firearms make for a happy combo? Gee, I'm not sold on this one!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.