May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Warren A, Karl Graebner, bushveld, Lloyd3, idahobob, Ian Forrester), 276 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,370
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

A problem with comparing prices on guns here with the same guns in Europe, is that only really rich people can afford to hunt in Europe. That tends to squew the price comparison a bit. Remember, also, geographical location can and does have an effect on price. Also, Europeans have vastly different ideas on what is cool in a shotgun then Americans-one look at a scalloped cheekpiece, or a perchbelly buttstock will open your eyes to this phenomenon.
I looked at used guns the last time I was in St. Etienne, and came across a used Charlin 16, asking price about $3000 in US frogskins. I had purchased, a few years prior, an identicle, low grade 16, in better shape, for all of $600. So much for making money on used stuff, I thought.
My observation at the time was that most French hunters have gone the same route as most US hunters, and prefer an autoloader, pump, or O/U, usually in 12 gauge. The doubles were mostly an anacronism, and used by only a few. Sound familiar?
A Charlin is cool, no doubt, and many are the folks that are surprised by how smooth the action opens and closes on the guns. But, remember, that is only the case on a cocked gun, when the action is being cycled just for fun-a Charlin takes just as much effort to cock the action as a good old Darne, so the smooth thing is 'sorta irrelevant. Cool, but, irrelevant.
Charlins were produced by the Darne company from 1955, when Charlin went out of business and the remains were bought by Darne, until 1965, when they were quietly discontinued, along with P model Darnes. There exist, Charlin marked guns on Darne P actions. I don't know where these fit in the scheme of things, but, bet it was a cleanup of parts thing that didn't last long.
My favorite slider, hands down, is a Darne R model, followed (distantly) by anything else. Others feel differently, and thats OK. Let us know what happens.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought one I had located in a gunshow last year. They were calling it a Darne and even though I had never seen a Charlin I knew what it was but they were asking far too much. I got on internet and researched as best I could, and knowing the young man working the tables that day, tracked him down and found the guy who acutally was holding the gun on consingment. After a bit of dealing I stated that the asking was simpley far too much so the price came down by 50% and I bought it. I probably paid too much but he personally delivered it, about 50 miles one way.

Mine has the French pistol grip, and some engraving like the Hallowell gun, wood is darker and my checkering looks like it was in far better shape. An afternoon with a fine riffler file and the checkering is almost as new. A little steam removed most dents, then repaired splits in laminated horn buttplate.

The stock is hollow, and it appears to be a factory job. The gun shoots well, but is so light in 16ga it really kicks. For fun I much prefer the little 28Ga Darne, but really love the smoothness of the Charlin's action.

JJK
Sidelock
Sidelock

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Jack. I wish everyone would post pictures.
Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

French gun with grape vine for a background, simply preciuos! A stroke of genius, stupendous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And Berettas with olive trees? Ain't sure what to do with the Super. Are there trees in Flanders, or just mud and cobbles? Maybe a 6-pak of Cuvee Angelique?

jack

And German guns with...No No I will not go there! Ein Landt...... Regarda and apologies for the lapse in taste.Dr.Dozier sends

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.