April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 1,048 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,275
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Either is fine. The auto safety on my Coggie works, but I never assume it's on 'safe' without regularly checking. The manual safety on my Bernie works, but I never assume it's on 'safe' without regularly checking. I shoot low-gun skeet and SC, and the safety never comes 'off' until the clay's flying and I'm mounting the gun (something that bothers me a little about the pre-mount off-safe shooters).

The important thing is that any gun can go off anywhere at any time, so don't ever rely on any mechanical safety, automatic or not.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Boxlock
Boxlock

You may not have thought of this.If you have disabled the automatic safety on any of your guns,you better put it back to Factory Specs before you transfer the gun to someone else.
WHY? The new owner may obtain a factory owners manual that states the gun has an automatic safety. If an accident occurs,you are setting your self up for (Deep Pocket Change) liabiliy.People sue at a drop of a hat.
We are familiar with our guns operations,but we have raised a couple of generations of people that don't know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of. Think about it.
R.MOON.

rmoon #36834 04/21/07 01:13 PM

Is there a manual safety fan here who can honestly say he has never, ever, in the heat of the moment, forgotten to put the safety on? I confess to making that blunder, and more than once.

Fortunately, safe gun handling fundamentals trump every kind of mechanical safety.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand the fuss about auto safties. Even the gods like Bill Jordan and Col. Cooper admit to AD's with rifles, pistols and shotguns.
IMHO, forgetting the safety is on is potentially less damaging than forgetting it's off. A missed bird or clay because of the safety is the shooter's responsibility, regardless. So is an accidental discharge. Given the choice, I'll take the embarrassment of missed shot over the AD any time. What works best for you may not be in my best interest.
If my mistake gets you off your game, you need to work on your game.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hate them!

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I much prefer manual safety but i can do all right with auto! I saw a manual safety double on one of the internet guns for sale sites referred to as an adult safety! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like one of my ads.
"Blue Fury"
Feel better now, Teddy boy?
Actually I have no problem with the world but auto safeties are annoying.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 04/21/07 06:07 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if "blue rage" is related to "blue fury", like I typed, and which is more angry at the world and auto safetys?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I took hunter safety class many moons ago we were taught to carry the gun on safe all the time. When a shot at game came along you were to switch the safety off as you brought the gun to your shoulder. It takes only a fraction of the time to switch the safety off as it does to mount the gun. I have gained this habit and it is subconscious for me. Because of this I think the auto safety is an asset and not a liability. I've always been suprised at the gun writers cussing the auto safety in their write ups on the new doubles they were trying.

tanky #36890 04/21/07 09:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume that all those folks who "Forget" to push the safety off on the range are those who are in the "Habit" of shooting with a non-auto safety & for whatever reason was shooting that day with an Auto-Safe.
The part that "Absolutely Totally Amazes" me is how anyone believes they can "Habitulaity" shoot 1,000:1 / 5,000:1 shots without "Ever" moving a safety & then loudly proclaim they are "Above Forgetting" to set one in the field.
We learn by "Rote" "Habit Prevails". Nuff said.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.