April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chad Linder, SKB, montenegrin, Roundsworth, Ian Forrester), 1,164 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
Try these guys or google Behlen Solar Lux Stain http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=7234

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Hansli, am placing order. Did I understand that this can be applied over a finish already present ? Is anyone using this stain un- thinned ? Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken and all,
Yes to both questions. When applying over an existing finish, my attempts have been with oil type finishes vs. paint (varnish, polyurethane)type finishes. However I have had good results with penetration over Tru Oil or Permalyn modified oil.
I have never applied full strength over bare wood as I fear this would leave a mottled mess. The product is quite concentrated and thinning would be the prudent first step for bare wood. For bare wood I tint boiled linseed oil to taste and apply, the coloration is more progressive this way more akin to alkanet with a little help. At present I have an oil with both alkanet and Blood red so I won't miss the stink of the alkanet. Be aware that when using Behlen stain that is dries quite quickly.
When overlaying an existing finish I use a 1" foam brush and keep it moving so there are no drips or lap lines. Let dry and wet sand with oil and 1500 grit wet/dry or lightly steel wool with 0000. This should give you a pretty good idea of where you're at for color. I know it sounds like alot of hoopla but you really can't go too far wrong and you can tune the finish as you go.
Anyone that wants more info can PM me and I will share all I know. Let the Englishmen laugh, in the next thread we can talk about how to put cup holders on your double so you can keep your drink close at hand. It took them close to 2000 years to get where they are, we did it in a tenth the time and we're only short a few nice churches, a couple dozen castles and Shakespeare. I hope I didn't forget anything else, but I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen, and the 2 ladies who have visited my 'Den of antique stuff' I have watched this thread on stock colour. I have Joe Mantons notes on 'Getting the true colour from English Walnut' Iron Filings,Vinegar, and 'time'.. I've had a bottle sitting around on the bench for 'bleedin years' looks great'Purdey Red'Queen Victoria's lips'Donkey bollocks!..... It stinks worse than the NonComs Karsie in Upper Barracks,Winchester, when the whole battalion had been out on the Beer for a week! after spending hours 'Wet&drying' a finished stock, min. of 8 W&Drys. sanding thru to 600 w&d the time had come to put on the colour....Old Joe's Majic red"Wad of 'Tow" ( Now we all have read about the tradition of not using old rags),,see Des Mills book on gun repairs& 'How To" with Mike Barnes.. Carol has a couple of copies at Gunnerman Books) Tow''' Wonderfull stuff, from English Flax! Its the brown hairy stuff thats in Old leather gun cases, all manner of uses,we heard that the Old Gunmakers..Real Old Gunmakers used to take a 'Wad" with them in to the"karsie'..Yuk!!!Back to 'Stock Colour'as you spread the evil smelling liquid on to your beautifully finished stock, that you had spent at least 50hrs bringing from a block of french walnut into a Majical part of the gun that took a barreled action to a shootable shotgun,this stinking vinegar stuff not only raised the dammed grain,again.it left'blotches'I/ve never mastered the use of Vin/iron , but I;ve seen some finished stocks that had the most beautiful colour,but to keep up with the "Times"I've managed to "DUPE" all these colours with a visit to the local boot repair shop!!!(Know what I mean Vern:!)Keep up the good work,crossedchisles...

Sidelock
Sidelock

don't be a tease, please tell us the Manton Formula!!!

skunk out

You editors will produce this thread as a hardbound terra-cotta tile bronze trimmed and locked parchment volume, won't you? Or at least 100% heavy cotton and illuminated with maybe a leather binding and cover? Maybe even a bronze-edged original English walnut veneer appropriately stained with the subject material.

There are some Catholic orders of monks who actually support themselves with high end work some of which is of a scientific or medical nature. I am sure some of them can handle this task in the name of the Almighty and Doubledom.

Sidelock
Sidelock

F.S...you been sip'n from the bottle of 'Purdey Red'Queen Victoria's lips'Donkey bollocks. ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I hope I didn't forget anything else, but I'm in a bit of a hurry"

"McFinish"?

I'll take a #3 with Diet Coke.

Thanks Hansli

OP Offline

This is a great thread. Even the drippage is enlightening!

After I got Hansli's tip I just typed Behlen Stain in google and got a place that sold Behlen Blood Red. I notice Hansli posted a website.

Thanks again Hansli. I owe you a beer or a green tea whatever is your preference.

I do like this Behlen. Dries as fast as pure alcohol. I did use one layer of Behlen and one of my Alkanet brew... ugh... The other day I was putting my bow back up on the wall after doing some target shooting in prep for deer season and I did it in the dark and to my misfortune the tip bumped up against my canning jar of Alkanet & mineral spirits. Dropped to the garage floor and smashed to smithereens. Now all I have is Behlen Blood Red till I brew up another batch of Alkanet.

Sorry I haven't figured out HOW to post pictures here and I do not have the software.

I can't wait to redo my next stock with this Behlen Blood Red... might start stripping an old stock tonite.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli,
Good comments truly appreciated.It may have taken us 2000 years of progress but now thanks to Tony Blair we are the smallest state in the USA due to his alliance with the very reverand Mr Bush. Footnote Blair is an anogram for B***** Liar which our sons and daughters are finding to their cost in Afghanistan & Iraq. The cost of Oil and Heroin have a lot to answer for.
But sod them all let's just keep wet sanding

Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.