April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, Kolar Dickson), 448 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,258708141,var,Paris-Houillier-Blanchard-Ch-Pidault-successeur-arquebusier--canonnier-rue-Royale-facture-1897-armurier,language,F.html
(copy & paste)

Looks like Ch. Pidault acquired it prior to 1897.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

The link provided by gunwolf seems to clear things up. Especially the one long post from neltir. From 1963-90, only French-made barrels used. Prior to that, frequently Belgian tubes. But of course it's not unusual to find that on French guns . . . or, for that matter, entire guns made and proofed in Belgium, but with the addresses of French dealers/"makers". Interesting.

That's pretty much been my position all along as per examples and I'm puzzled why you had to read it in French in order to believe. Post WWII many gunmaking centres were self sufficient but pre-WWII almost all could not get off the Belgian gunmaking teat.

E. Bernard

Gatimel a Marseille

Looks like the St. Etienne mechanics worked off most of the Belgian marks less "Non Pour Balle"

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always good to get different viewpoints from different sources of information, Raimey. What I initially read in French was a description of another Callens gun, in which it was described as having St. Etienne barrels. Followed by the excellent post from neltir in Gunwolf's link, explaining when Callens used St. Etienne barrels and when they used Belgian barrels. I expect it disappoints you to find that some guns with French addresses on the barrels really were made in France, but . . . c'est la vie. smile Personally, I have absolutely no problem--having seen numerous examples--admitting that some guns with French addresses were made in Belgium. But not all of them . . . by a very long stretch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't recall every saying all, but the gist was that the talent of the Belgian mechanics permeated all British, European & U.S. of A. gunmaking centres pre-WWII. Come on over to the dark side; join us.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Comparison of gunmaking centres of Liege & St. Etienne in 1866. I believe there is some truth in the report that continued for a time:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice to know, Raimey . . . but the guns discussed in this thread don't date from 1866. And the Belgians were far more involved with the gun trade outside their tiny country than were the French. Somewhere I've saved an article by the late John Brindle from Shooting Sportsman, in which he pointed out that French gunmakers never really launched a concerted effort to sell the guns they made anywhere other than France.

And your article also shows that the Belgians were into making "clunkers" (the very lowest quality), while the French were not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, one has to commence somewhere & I am cognizant that the time frame is the 1860s, and while the Belgians are out producing the French tube makers some 10:1, I do not think the French gained any ground but instead lost ground up till WWI. The French could not make any enroads as a supplier to the gun trade as the Belgians cornered the market. Indeed they made price-point weapons, but that was what the client desired. So if the Belgians are making all these tubes, just who are all the consumers?

St. Etienne tube makers in 1862:

JAVELLE-MAGAUD & SON - St. Etienne(Loire)

RONCHARD-SIAUVE - St. Etienne(Loire)

DIDIER-DREVET - St. Etienne(Loire)

J. BLACHON - St. Etienne(Loire)

A. Bernard - Paris

L. Bernard - Paris

L.F. Devisme - Paris

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're only supplying French gunmakers and not the world, how many tubes do you need to make? But good to see you point out a number of barrelmakers in St. Etienne in those ancient days. And somewhat later we get Jean Breuil, whose name is among those most commonly found on the barrels of St. Etienne guns. And today we have Verney-Carron, supplying tubes to a number of other makers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A. Bernard - Paris

L. Bernard - Paris

L.F. Devisme - Paris

I neglected to copy the above. Info suggest that Alphonse Bernard had a shop in Liege, maybe also a patent(Damas allongé système Bernard-1854/1855), so he may have been a conduit for tubes sourced from Liege. To answer your question, the French tube makers only needed to supply say 50%-60% of France's gun barrel needs as the Belgians supplemented the rest.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

And Jean-Batiste Rivolier (1830-1907) et Fils à St. Etienne

Damas Alongé Système (Alphonse) Bernard as Raimey noted

Breuil-Glaize may have still been at it also

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.