April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (ClapperZapper, SKB), 607 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,258
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
StuBee Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, I decided against the Dakin Grulla, the price was just too high

A local guy (retired Doc) is quite a collector and is selling off a bunch of Japanese shotguns, mostly Model 23s. One that interests me most is a Charles Daly Miroku SXS, 20 Ga, 28", IC/M. It looks very fine & is tight (though I haven't rung the barrels yet), it's not heavily used, looks nearly new. The original owner did, however, make some changes to it: he didn't like the original wood so restocked with very nice grain walnut, beautiful actually, and allegedly had a Miller Trigger installed. The stock & forend are apparently original dimensions (quite modern). The seller told me Miller trigger cost a ton and is a mechanical trigger vs. inertial. I see Turnbull does Miller triggers, but only on a couple of American shotguns.

I now shoot DTs but this one intrigued me, it was a very nice trigger for a single and an overall nice gun, much nicer than any BSS I've looked at. He's asking $1696. Any thoughts? I find few of these to compare to, thanks again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it ejector or extractor? Yes, the trigger costs a ton. Unless the gun is has very special engraving, the gun underneath is $800-$1000 gun with custom wood and a miller single trigger. If that's exactly what you want in a 20g, then have at it!

FYI, I'm a very big fan of old Mirokus. If/when I find an un-upgraded version of the gun you're looking at, I'd pay the $1000.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several questions: did he keep the original double trigger parts? Is the trigger selective? Does it feel good in your hands and at your shoulder? How much is a "ton" of money?
Without seeing it, it sounds like a lot of money for a gun that would normally be in the $500-75 range.
Did he have the automatic safety disabled?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun looks to be in very nice condition. He has had no bids on it, in at least two listings, that I know of. He might be ready to deal. http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7967276

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stubee,
$1696 doesn't sound out of line at all to me. IF! the stock work is good. If it's really, really good and the wood figure is great, $1696 is discount IMO.

StuBee Offline OP
OP Offline

On the questions: I don't know if he kept the double trigger assembly, it wasn't there on the table. It felt good in my hand & on my shoulder, seemed to have the same pull & drop as my fave bird guns. A ton of $ wasn't desribed, I looked on the web and Turnbull charges $1K+ for a Miller Trigger. That stunned me, as I'm not familiar with the triggers and I'm a "hunter gun" buyer. I usually gravitate to guns less than $1K. I can buy a lot more if I want to, but I like to use the same guns for all clays + hunting, in any weather, also leave 'em in my truck & cabin w. no real worries about losing a multi $K piece.

My favorite bird guns now are a Uggie 30 12 Ga 28" that I got for $300 & opened to SK1/SK2, and a Parker Hale Uggie 20 Ga, 26" (the extractor model) that I got for $700 and opened up the same. The stocks are close in dimensions so I can switch between 'em easily. The Model 30 is functionally close to "as new" but was stored in a poor case & has slight receiver and exterior barrel rust--so I love it cuz I take it anywhere and don't even think about it. It shoot great, beautiful bores, tight as a drum and is 7 lb. even, balances beautifully. I have grown quite attached to the darned thing in just a year. The P-H is the opposite: looks like it was never shot before I got it. So beautiful that I often grab the 12 Ga if it's raining or even threatening. The P-H is a true lightweight upland gun, esp. for woodcock though they're gettin' kinda scarce here. I actually did quite well on pheasants with the little thing before I got the Model 30.

Well, you guys have been simply great. This was a gun show, I sold a NID there so have some $ but have other passions to pursue so think I'll just back off now & enjoy the guns I've got. Heck, I've still got two other SXS that rarely see the light of day. My intent on going to the show was to unload my beautiful but poor fitting--for me--NID, but you know how tables of SXS attract the truly besmitten.

Thanks much for the link & quick replys.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.