May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 255 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,702
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that running at a lower pressure extends the pressure curve to accelerate the shot to the same velocity. While the total recoil is the same it is extended and feels less with the lower pressure loads. As far as the wood goes I suspect s shove is easier on the wood than a fast rap.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The time required for the load to travel the length of the barrel is on the order of .003 of a second. During this time the movement of the gun in ee Recoil would be on the order of 5/16". Enough inertia is imparted to the gun during this Extremely brief time to continue its travel in recoil. Brother they all give it a Fast Rap. In speaking of powders fast & slow are relative terms. All powders suite for use in a shotgun are Fast in total propellant relativity, some are just a minute bit faster than others.
I have shot mild & pleasant loads using very fast powders & some uncomfortable loads using very slow powders. it all boiled down to the weight i was moving out the barrel & how fast I moved it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
I was comparing reloading recipes recently, and was surprised at the extent to which using different wads can affect load pressures. Which led to this question: Assuming you are shooting a gun with modern steel barrels, and using loads within the gun's proof, is there any benefit to shooting lower pressure loads? If a gun is proved to 13,000 psi, does shooting 8,000 psi loads instead 10,000 psi loads (assuming the fps and shot charge are the same) extend the time before a gun shoots loose?

Put another way, is it worth spending extra money on higher quality wads to reduce the pressure in my reloads 1500-2000 psi?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

DH, I take it from your post--since modern American guns are proofed at a pressure far higher than 13,000 psi (pushing 20,000 psi)--that you're speaking either of vintage American guns, or of British/European guns with the "standard" CIP proof. Per the proofmaster of the Birmingham Proofhouse, standard CIP proof equates to 13,920 psi as measured by SAAMI transducers. Standard CIP service pressure for those guns is 10,730 psi (versus the 11,500 psi SAAMI service pressure standard for an American 12ga).

Let's say you're reloading based on a formula that tells you the pressure of the load in question is 10,000 psi. I don't know that the gun would wear any quicker, assuming that you never slip up and nudge above the service pressure limit for the guns in question. But those of us who've had our reloads pressure tested by someone like Tom Armbrust know that pressures will vary, sometimes by several hundred psi. So if you don't factor in a sufficient safety cushion, say by reducing your powder charge a bit, you might well exceed the service pressure for which the gun was designed.

Also, if--like many of us--you're working up low pressure reloads for a gun with 2 1/2" chambers using 2 3/4" hulls, you need to remember that the longer hull will produce somewhat higher pressures when fired in a shorter chamber. In Sherman Bell's tests, while most of his loads showed an increase of only a few hundred psi when fired in a short chamber test barrel vs one with a 2 3/4" chamber, in some cases the increase exceeded 1,000 psi. So if you're using 2 3/4" hulls, you need to build in even more of a safety cushion--if you want to make sure you don't exceed the service pressure standard for the gun in question.

While I don't work to develop extremely low pressure reloads--talking 5-6,000 psi or less, as some do--I am careful to build in significant "margin for error" when reloading 2 3/4" hulls for 2 1/2" guns. Factoring in the possibility of a 1,000 psi increase due to hull length, and the possibility of maybe a few hundred additional psi if I drop more powder than the recipe calls for, I like to start with a load with a "book" pressure figure of not much higher than 8,000 psi. Working from that point, I feel confident that I'm not going to end up with anything much over 10,000 psi, and probably well under it.

Of course the other solution is to feed the gun a steady diet of something like CIP standard proof loads, or RST's. The problem with the former is that most of them are field loads with a fair amount of recoil due to shot charge and velocity. RST does offer some nice, soft loads at modest velocity, and 3/4 or 7/8 oz of shot. Because I shoot a lot of targets with vintage or CIP-proof guns, I reload a lot of those--thus giving me both low pressure and reduced recoil. Good for both me and the gun in question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe an intentional higher pressure can be a selected good thing. I feel many low pressure loads seem dirty, or may be more likely to be inconsistent. Anyway, I think cold weather hunting is a good place to consider a higher pressure book recipe.

That pressure spike was one of the things that came to mind when Doc Drew was running the Remington barrel blow up series. Seemingly insignificant swaps could feed a gun more than the shooter anticipated, by quite a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of the old reloading manuals would carry the notation, on low pressure loads: "Not a good choice in cold weather."

Sidelock
Sidelock

If we are talking about plastic wads and plastic hulls, changing the pressure by 1500-2000# is a lot, and there has to be a significant variable going in (amount of powder/shot or type of powder) or coming out (velocity or payload). Offhandedly, I can't recall seeing a list of ballistically similar recipes that can generate that amount of change merely by substituting a wad.

Each gauge has a sweet pressure spot for performance, and it is typically at the high end. That said, I typically load my shells a bit on the light side and use clone wads. The loads go "bang" every time, don't kick too badly, and targets break. That's all I ask for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From Alliant's web data for a standard light target load:

Using a Rem STS hull, with just a wad swap...

Substituting a Claybuster Fig8 type for a Winchester AA12 in this recipe increases peak pressure by 2,000 psi.

with just a primer swap...

Substituting a F209A for a CCI209 in this recipe increases peak pressure by 3,000 psi.

All perfectly fine provided pressure data is known. But illustrative that willy-nilly substitution is unwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To get back to Doverham's original question.

All else being equal, lower pressures put less stress on a gun's jointing than higher pressures. Pressure acts in all directions & higher pressure pushes the case head back against the face of the action harder than lower pressure & this increases stress on the jointing. Given small increases in pressure the difference is likely minimal but it is still there so within reason, lower is to me a good idea for gun longevity.

Read Vic Venters comments in Gun Craft chapter II "Jointing & The Circle" on how modern gunmakers deal with the higher pressures encountered with double rifles.

I agree that assuming equal recoil & gun weight increased pressure provides no or very minimal increased stress on the wood & that you need high enough pressure in a load to provide reliable ignition & combustion in cold weather.

For years my main 12 ga target load has been a 7/8 oz load using PB at a published pressure of just over 6000 psi & it is extremely clean burning & I've never had any cold weather issues with this load

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike: Yikes!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverman,
Newtons third law of motion applies to this issue it reads; " Every force has an equal and opposite force". To quote Burrard ,In the case of the shotgun the force generated equals;" The sum of the total "ejecta" [the combined weight of the shot charge + weight of the wads + the weight of the gases generated by the combustion of a specific powder.]x the velocity that the "ejecta" leaves the muzzle. Burrard discounts the effect of the drop in "ejecta" velocity during its passage up the barrel as being in theory a valid factor but in practice of no real significance.
As stated by others; the lower the velocity for any given charge[ejecta] results in less stress on the action components of any gun and of course the resultant recoil to be absorbed by the shooter.

Roy Hebbes
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.