April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 1,044 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,716
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
nhunter #372604 07/13/14 08:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

HI

A gun with sleeved barrels is like a beautiful woman in a silk dress perfect make up nice hair, but wearing a pair of steel toe cap work boots. Something is just not quite right but beautiful all the same.
If you dont mind that the gun is sleeved and the price is right thats marriage made in heaven.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not mind a great gun with sleeved barrels at all. For shooter's they are a best deal if done properly. I was able to add a 1894 S. Grant & Sons side lock, ejector, side lever to my collection that was sleeved and reproofed in England. If it had the original Damascus barrels it would have been beyond my price range. Sleeved, it made it affordable and has proved to be a very good shooter. I am able to use and enjoy a quality classic English gun with new barrels and with proper care it is something I am able to pass down for another generation to use and enjoy. For a shooter, a quality gun with sleeved barrels is a very good deal.

nhunter #372646 07/14/14 11:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe sleeved guns are just great, basically new bbls, fit for a lifetime or more.
It also lets you into a much nicer Gun, for the cash you have, assuming its a real good job, & that your ok with that.
My WW Greener 1901 Hammer has sleeved bbls, but no one ever new, unless i pointed out the incredibly hard to see joints, all properly marked n proofed..( or is it proved?)
I see them as a way to get a real bargain, sometimes.
For the collector, no, but a guy looking for a real nice shooting gun, yes.
The balance thing is daft,...as said before,how does anyone know how a gun balanced before the bbls were lopped off...you cant....pick it up n see how it feels for you...then make your decision.
Westley Richards did some really ugly sleeving.....which I find hard to believe, considering their reputation in the Makers world?
best to you all
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, The Grant that I was able to afford was sleeved by Westley Richards. The line of the joint can be seen but it nice and clean and does not bother me at all. High quality action, beautiful engraving, knock out wood and new re-blacked barrels. 2.5 inch chambers, reproofed at Birmingham. Great shooter, nice weight and balance. Makes it a very nice gun for a "Joe Lunchbox" budget. I'm content.

nhunter #372657 07/14/14 01:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Westley Richards were one of the first to carry out this type of work and some of the early attempts were not done to the standard that they later achieved. Some of the work done now is almost undetectable. Lagopus.....

nhunter #372659 07/14/14 01:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe sleeved guns are just great, basically new bbls, fit for a lifetime or more.
It also lets you into a much nicer Gun, for the cash you have, assuming its a real good job, & that your ok with that.
My WW Greener 1901 Hammer has sleeved bbls, but no one ever new, unless i pointed out the incredibly hard to see joints, all properly marked n proofed..( or is it proved?)
I see them as a way to get a real bargain, sometimes.
For the collector, no, but a guy looking for a real nice shooting gun, yes.
The balance thing is daft,...as said before,how does anyone know how a gun balanced before the bbls were lopped off...you cant....pick it up n see how it feels for you...then make your decision.
Westley Richards did some really ugly sleeving.....which I find hard to believe, considering their reputation as fine gun makers
best to you all
franc

nhunter #372661 07/14/14 01:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing TIG 'Invisible Sleeving'

Interesting. c. 1867 MacNaughton of Edinburgh 12b sleeved from damascus to steel...back to damascus; with silver between all 4 joints. By John Foster and Graham Bull, England. Courtesy of David Trevallion.

Interesting by incongruous. Damascus to Damascus by Keith Kearcher

Hideous butchery. Ed's master gunsmith

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last one-The Parker butchered by ed, looks like a plumber did it not a gunsmith !

Hillary For Prison 2018
nhunter #372674 07/14/14 03:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 60's Westley Richards sleeved a lot of guns that were by todays standards awful . Thing to remember here is that sleeving was considered a repair ,that's all, to make gun last another 10 years as a cheap alternate to rebarreling so no real attempt was made to make it seem other wise . As time went on prices rose as did the quality of machining ,no more holding the back end in a wooden clamp and reaming out with a reground chamber cutter and facing off with a piloted cutter . Customers demanded better and they got it so that modern sleeving is largely undetectable on sight .
As to the question of steel shot ,problem is that the proof charge is the same as a magnum and it is a matter of whether the action will stand that pressure .

nhunter #372685 07/14/14 05:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

drew: sorry, don't recognize that one...

old ed did sleeve guns. doubt if he could do it anymore, being 88 an all...anyway, other guns that he has sleeved do show the seams. he could hide the seams if desired, but then that would cost more. gotta keep cost down when sleeving field guns, don cha no?

remember a parker ph he sleeved at my request years ago. Damascus barrels had been honed by some crook, so the barrel walls were bright and shiny like glass, but they were paper thin; less than what he considers as safe...anyway, he sleeved barrels, with seams showing. gun also shot both barrels to point of aim at 30 yards...fellow I sold the gun too won his state skeet shooting championship with that old sleeved parker, with the seams showing...

old ed also has the tooling and skills required to regulate barrels sleeved by others, that do not shoot to point of aim at any distance...don't know of anyone else in this country that can do that kind of work. do you?

Last edited by ed good; 07/14/14 05:35 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.