March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple of 28s. One O/U and a SxS. These make nifty little Quail guns but I'd be hesitant to use them on something much bigger.
Peronally I expect that if it hadn't been for Skeet this gauge would have disappeared long ago.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 16 was much more popular than the 28 and it has all but disappeared. I know those who love it will cry fowl but face facts. Walk into a Dicks Sporting goods store and see which are easier to find the 16 or 28 shells? Mine always has two to four 28 choices and I am lucky if they have one for the 16. The 28 is one of those things you buy when you have covered all the other things. Like a corvette to a 50 plus year old. A reward to yourself not as something you really need. Just something you would like to have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon, I agree on your comparison of 28 to 16, I wish you were wrong as i am a 16 fan and shoot it most often and best. That said no one I hunt with owns, much less shoots a sixteen. Almost all have and occasional shoot a 28.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have more 16's than anything. Yes, it is not practical as far as commercial ammo goes, but then not a whole lot about our chosen obsession is practical. wink A nice 16 is usually cheaper than a similar grade and model 20, but a tad more than a 12, at least that's been my experience whether it's a double or a classic pump.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I have more 16's than anything. Yes, it is not practical as far as commercial ammo goes, but then not a whole lot about our chosen obsession is practical. wink A nice 16 is usually cheaper than a similar grade and model 20, but a tad more than a 12, at least that's been my experience whether it's a double or a classic pump.

I agree with this. Although the 12s still outnumber the 16s in my safe, it's not been for lack of trying.

And most importantly, I don't do this stuff for practical purposes. None of it. Not the guns, not the dogs, not the hunting property or the long distance trips. If you want practical, I would advise looking elsewhere.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

As was stated above, there simply wasn't enough market demand for 28-gauge guns to make it worthwhile for the A.H. Fox Gun Co. to add one to their offerings. There were very few A.H. Fox Gun Co. ads that even mentioned what gauges their guns were offered in and even less that actually touted their 16- and 20-gauge guns like this one from May 26, 1912 --

By the time the Spanish-American war was winding down, the Brothers P knew two things -- (1) The great bulk of North American shooters owned one gun, a 12-gauge, and that the repeater was what most new shooters were going to buy; and (2) therefore, their real client base for their upscale product were the existing Parker shooters. So, they needed to entice them with something new and novel. Parker Bros. entered the 28-gauge market by taking a bunch of 0-frame 20-gauge guns that had been languishing in inventory and rebarreling them to 28-gauge, and telling their clients these are just the ticket for Quail or even Ducks at some of the California Duck Clubs. At that time North American 28-gauge factory shells were put up in a 2 1/2 inch case carrying a load of 1 3/4 drams of bulk smokeless powder pushing 5/8 ounce of shot. Our ammo manufacturers did also offer 2 7/8 inch NPEs and gun cranks like Chas. Askins were stuffing these with 2 1/8 drams of powder and 3/4 ounce of shot. Askins had a 30-inch barrel Parker Bros. 28-gauge that weighed 6 3/4 pounds!! Western Cartridge Co. didn't introduced their 28-gauge progressive burning smokeless powder Super-X load until 1932. Ithaca Gun Co. dropped the 28-gauge from their catalogues with the introduction of the NID in 1926, but at that time Ithaca did return to cataloging a 28-gauge gun,

and a few smallbore Fox doubles were known to escape Utica with an extra set of unchambered 20-gauge barrels with a 28-gauge rim cut.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one 28 and sold it. I currently have eight 16 gauge guns. At one time I had twelve. I sold off a Baker, an Ithaca and 2 Foxes.

Currently I have three Foxes, an LC Smith, a Masquelier,a Winchester model 12, an Ithaca 37, and a Westley Richards.

I have more ammo stockpiled than I could ever shoot hunting in my lifetime so no worries there. For me they are the perfect upland gun.

CMWill Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for posting the ads Researcher. It would be interesting to put together a timeline showing the major product introductions by different manufacturers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I, like Romac, have enough sixteen gauge Game Loads and reloads to keep me shooting long after I am gone. I wish I had that much 28 gauge ammo. Twenty eight gauge and .410 bore shotguns had more to do with Parker's demise than it contributed to their profit margin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I, like Romac, have enough sixteen gauge Game Loads and reloads to keep me shooting long after I am gone. I wish I had that much 28 gauge ammo. Twenty eight gauge and .410 bore shotguns had more to do with Parker's demise than it contributed to their profit margin. However, it sure makes collecting more interesting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.