March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (L. Brown, 2 invisible), 619 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,412
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could, conceivably, do it all with a 16 much, much easier and better than with a 28. Everything from deer to woodcock can be taken cleanly with the 16. I really enjoy using mine. I, however, own a 28 that I have never even shot.

I, for one, am very glad Fox never built 28s. They might have gone out of business faster than they did.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The 16ga "cult"--although it's pretty much that--has actually gotten stronger in recent years. Comparing gun choice by gauge in data provided by LODGH (Loyal Order of Dedicated Grouse Hunters): Back in 1983, 9% chose the 16. In 2012, that was up to 15%. On the other hand . . . over the same period of time, the 28ga has taken a HUGE jump in popularity with grouse hunters, per LODGH data: from a blip on the radar 1% in 1983 to 13% in 2012. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact that there are a lot more 28ga field guns available now vs then. Most 28's back then were skeet guns.

But the top choice among LODGH members has scarcely changed over 30 years. Right around half of them prefer the 20ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I, like Romac, have enough sixteen gauge Game Loads and reloads to keep me shooting long after I am gone. I wish I had that much 28 gauge ammo. Twenty eight gauge and .410 bore shotguns had more to do with Parker's demise than it contributed to their profit margin. However, it sure makes collecting more interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the non-toxic mandate becomes nation wide, the gauge deck will be shuffled again. The sub gauges will become even more irrelevant.
I expect a federal mandate literally any day now. There aren't enough hunters left to fight it when it happens.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Target shooters will fight that fight, Ted. Hunters are too disorganized to do it. Every time the subject is broached, shooters of all stripe need to defend lead shot as the harmless product it is, starting right now, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Can't be a nationwide nontoxic mandate, Ted. USF&WS has already mandated nontox for waterfowl. They could expand it to include other migratory species like doves, woodcock, snipe and rail. But they can't do anything about upland birds, nor mammals, nor target shooting. And Congress has taken away the EPA's authority to regulate lead in ammo. So while it could be expanded to some degree nationwide, a ban at the federal level isn't possible. At least not under current rules.

The danger is at the state level, as in California. Other states will certainly try to add more nontox requirements, but a lot of states have many times more hunters and shooters (by percentage of their respective populations) than does CA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

italiansxs,

My favorite two gauges are 28 and 16. I think they are two very efficient gauges if you are an adequate shot. For the last 20 years I have shot only a 28 gauge sxs at home with quail and the 16 gauge sxs for pheasant out west. I have never had difficulty finding shells, although I always keep two or three years supply on hand. I prefer light weight guns because with hunting I carry them more than I shoot them.

I must confess that last year I made a change. I discovered the Browning Superposed Superlight 20 gauge and I that has become my gun of choice for everything.

Take Care,
Riprap

Sidelock
Sidelock

Riprap
I like and use both of the gauges as well. With age has come some discretionary funds and the ability to indulge myself.
However; In my more meager years I got by with a 12 gauge double for everything.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Can't be a nationwide nontoxic mandate, Ted. USF&WS has already mandated nontox for waterfowl. They could expand it to include other migratory species like doves, woodcock, snipe and rail. But they can't do anything about upland birds, nor mammals, nor target shooting. And Congress has taken away the EPA's authority to regulate lead in ammo. So while it could be expanded to some degree nationwide, a ban at the federal level isn't possible. At least not under current rules.
The danger is at the state level, as in California. Other states will certainly try to add more nontox requirements, but a lot of states have many times more hunters and shooters (by percentage of their respective populations) than does CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8En1zxhaDE

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.