Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You may feel this belongs in misfires but this isn't a political rant It is about what is happening to law abiding gun owners and dealers and how new laws and restrictions are impacting our ability to hunt, shoot and enjoy our rights to own guns. It is about the further erosion of our rights that some on here say cant happen but is going on now. tightening the available supply of ammunition is an effective way of eliminating firearms use

Midway abandons NYS firearms dealers.

The shooting community needs to know what businesses are screwing firearms owners, dealers and shooters. The SAFE Act in NY has caused a backlash in the firms community and there are dealers and distributors who now refuse to sell ammo to dealers in NY. Not retail customers but to dealers who those retail customers must now rely on since mail order to private purchasers is prohibited.
Why is it important for you to know this? Because this company is in the business of guns, ammunition, shooting accessories and is making a cognitive decision to refuse to legally sell products to dealers who are legally allowed to buy them. Why does a business use an excuse that is not valid to no longer engage in legal trade?
Midway USA has chosen the path of abandoning NYS dealers by no longer selling ammunition to federally licensed NYS Firearms dealers and subsequently shooters will suffer.
On 19 August 2014 I was notified that Midway USA would no longer sell ammunition to federally licensed firearms dealers in NY State. I felt there must be a mistake and emailed back to seek clarification. I was sent another email telling me that due to the restriction of the NY SAFE Act they would no longer sell to NY licensed dealers who are in full compliance with eh SAFE Act.
On 20 August 2014 I called MIDWAY USA and spoke to customer service. I was told that Midway USA made a decision to stop selling to dealers in NYS. I reiterated that the SAFE Act does not prevent the sale of firearms or ammunition to dealers in NYS. The Customer Service rep was adamant about the decision. I asked to speak with her supervisor. She initially refused but

Heather the customer service rep then came on. She also stated that they would not sell ammo to NYS Dealers because of the law. She stated that there are licenses required of Midway by NYS in order to sell in NY. That is an absolute lie. She said their legal team said so. The license requirements are for NYS dealers of ammunition. Besides the fact, NYS cannot force a business in another state to get a license in NY and the SAFE Act doesnt require licensing of distributors to sell in NY.
I asked her how other distributors could sell ammo to dealer s in NY. She said she didnt know how they were getting around the law and said she didnt know if what they were doing was legal. Okay!!!!!
I asked to speak with her supervisor and she said there was no one over her. I asked to speak to someone in corporate and she refused saying she was as high as I could go.
I understand that she cant change company policy but I wanted to speak to someone to discuss the misinformation they were basing their decision on. She refused. This speaks volumes of the poor customer service that Midway is now engaging in.

The bottom line is that Midway has abandoned firearms dealers in NYS. How many more will follow suit? I suggest that you forward this information to whomever you can. Midway is a large business that has profited from shooters and now is turning its back on the ones that are being discriminated against and whose rights are being restricted more and more.

This needs to be passed on and spread.

Brian Perazone
Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
NYS Licensed Dealer
NYS Licensed Gunsmith
NRA Patron Member
Veteran

BTW: Brownells continues to sell ammunition to NY Dealers. So does Jerry's, Graf & Son and a number of other distributors. For you doubting Thomas's, here is the verbiage from the email that I received from Midway. They reference a letter from the Superintendent of the New York State Police. It has NOTHING to do with distributors selling to licensed dealers.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for the confusion. The reason we cannot ship ammunition to dealers in New York has to do with the record keeping requirements of the Safe Act. We are not able to accommodate these requirements and therefore cannot ship ammunition to New York. It is not our intention to in any way hurt our dealer customers. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

John
MidwayUSA Customer Service

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your recent email concerning shipping restrictions on our products. At MidwayUSA, we do our best to comply with all local, state and federal laws regarding restrictions on products that we sell. There are certain licenses that are required to comply. We are constantly reviewing these restrictions since it is in our customers' best interest to be able to receive our full line of products.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Jennifer

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 01:36 PM
To: MidwayUSA Customer Service
Subject: RE: new FFL

The stipulations in the SAFE act apply to NYS dealers. Using your rationale, no distributor can ship to NY and we both know that is not the case. I would like to discuss with someone in a policy making position. Please provide a phone number for someone I can discuss further.

VR
Brian

From: MidwayUSA Customer Service [mailto:customerservice@midwayusa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:21 PM
To: 'Brian Perazone'
Subject: RE: new FFL

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your email regarding ammunition shipments to the state of New York under the Safe Act. The Open Letter from New York State Police Superintendent Joseph A. DAmico, found here http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default...erintendent.pdf clearly interprets the rules we must follow, such as that
all ammunition transfers take place in person, including internet sales, which must be facilitated by a New York State ammunition seller. We regret that it is not possible for MidwayUSA to comply with those restrictions at this time.

With regard to ammunition shipments to the state of Illinois, yes, we are able to ship ammunition to residents of Illinois who have a valid copy of their Illionis Firearm Owner Identification Card on file with us. We are able to ship to New Jersey residents and Connecticut residents if we have their permits on file as well. Massachusetts is the only other state that restricts us from shipping to residents due to licensing regulatinos.

Amy

There are no record keeping requirements for distributors shipping to NY, there are no license requirements for distributors shipping to NY.

Last edited by Brian; 08/20/14 09:59 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to say it, but if I were you, I'd move.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

within 5 years I will be out of here. but for now I have to fight for what I can.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear about your plight. I wish New York had more freedom.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a fellow New Yorker I gotta say it is absolute hell in this state.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Midway has the right to conduct business as they see fit,
Just as New York has the right to conduct business as they see fit and has done so.
We welcome you to Texas.

Bakercollector, there is hope !!
One of my Baker guns has a split in the barrel, so I fitted 28 gauge Briley tubes laugh

Maybe y'all can find a fix for the state issues
Hope, Hope

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/20/14 03:21 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

And there is REMINGTON

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/20/news/companies/remington-jobs/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_latest+%28Latest+News%29

Does not want to open??????

Remington downsizing New York operation and moving to Alabama.

Bob Jurewicz

Last edited by Bob Jurewicz; 08/20/14 03:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

that they need a license may not be your understanding of the law - I thought the end user seller needed the license-

but - in midways defense- it may well be what some NYS bureaucrat told them was the law-

I had a PA dealer refuse to sell to me in his shop in PA because I would be taking it back to NY. He obviously did not need the business and did not want any thing to do with NY and the safe act just in case

Sidelock
Sidelock

Companies move from state to state every day these days. Get a tax break, move here for five years and then move again for the next tax deal. Given time they even move back to where they started out sometimes. Remington is just following the trend and getting out of a high tax high labor cost state in NY.

It bothers me when companies write off entire states for sales. Dealers already do not want to sell or ship to CA now add NY. Can MA, Conn and NJ be far behind? For those who are counting that five state combo are near 20% population of the US. All liberals with a large number of decent gun owners trapped in those states.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You of course have my sympathy and I expect that of the overwhelming majority on this forum.
I would suggest you take an additional step with Midway.
Find out the name of the CEO and draft a letter directly to him outlining the situation as you see it from a legal and business perspective.
I'd also indicate that if you New York dealers wern't worth selling ammo to then they wern't worth buying other products from either.
I plan on contacting Midway and putting them on notice that if legitimate firearms dealers in New York State were barred from ammunition sales I'd also go elsewhere for my purchases.
I also recommed that others on this forum do the same.
And a final point:
Those of you on this forum who have the attitude "I have nothing to worry about regulation wise because I just own and shoot shotguns." Take heed!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.