April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Argo44, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,132
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Most of my bird shooting here in NY is preserve pheasants and chukars. Would like to plan a trip to the middle of the country for wild birds and would like some choke recommendations for my 1955 Webley & Scott M700 12 gauge.

The gun is currently as from the factory (yes Darryl, it's the one I got from you) 0.729 bores and .042 chokes in each barrel.

Recommendations for how much to open them to make it a useful upland gun? I have plenty of others for waterfowl & cornfield geese.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 09/08/14 12:29 PM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

The load matters also. B&P MB Classic 1 1/8 oz. 5s at 1330 with .010 right and .030 left provides very dense and even patterns in my Smith. I don't have the clean kill confidence to try more than 35 - 40 yd. shots though.
http://aerostaroutdoors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_31

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Drew said. He is spot on.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

hunting over dogs? I like a full choke in my left barrel and cylinder in my right. Depends some on which western birds and how you hunt them. I have Springers and when the birds co-operate I kill plenty inside of 20 yards. Late season, windy days or birds that have plenty of pressure and I sure do like the tight pattern a full choke offers. That said my favorite bird gun is cyl and .014" but it fits me well and I love it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to define "western birds" more thoroughly if you wish considered advise.

They could be anything from Doves to Greater Canadas, Spruce Grouse to Hungarian Partridge, Sharptail Grouse to Pheasants.

And then there is the question of when and how. For example, pheasants shot in a SD cornfield drive are best shot with choke combinations that differ greatly from pheasants walked-up by man and dog in a MT coulee.

Similar scenarios can be made for all the other species and where and how they are hunted as the "middle of the country" is a little vague.

BTW, have you much experience in shooting in high winds and often freezing temperatures? Your experience with such should also be considered, if you are going to open the chokes on a singular gun for a one time hunt somewhere around here.

As an aside, Daryl usually comes with 6 or 7 guns when he comes up to Sidney to hunt pheasants.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

To add to what Bob said: If you're coming to the Midwest in the cold part of the season, when the temperature may hover one side or the other of zero, you need to make sure that the trigger spacing on your Scott (assume it's a double trigger gun) allows enough room for fingers inside an insulated glove.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole choke thing is so subjective that a thread like this could go on and on.
The only real way to tell is to pattern what ever gun you plan on taking and pattern it with different shot sizes and shot weights.
And as stated a few posts back, what are you specifically hunting for?

If you have just one gun to take, my choice would be one with 28" barrels, cyl and full. Gauge is your choice.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are chasing Kansas ditch parrots, the proper load is #5s and tight chokes. If they flush close, give them a tic or 2. RST Lite roll crimped 1 1/16 oz, but I don't see it on the website @ RST. If you can stand the pressure, Kent's Upland with the Diamond shot works extremely well. I have not found a better type shot.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are coming to Kansas or Nebraska for pheasant and quail or early season Prairie Chicken/Sharp Tail Grouse improved cylinder and modified will serve you well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We hunt "Ditch Parrots" in both middle NE and Western KS--I use a 12 gauge M12 30" full choke solid rib field gun made in 1937, and RST 1& 1/4 ounce No 6 chilled exclusively- we hunt with flushing dogs in early Nov- lotsa wind and spooky birds, so for my shooting style, I like that combination. Love to see a big ol' rooster pheasant crumple up like a cheap cardboard suitcase in a hailstorm- feathers flying, and as in the great song about the Sunflower State- "Dust In The Wind"__Ka-Boom

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.