May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (MattH, buckstix, dblgnfix, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that some are describing the bird as very acrobatic and fast and others not so much. My experience with them is they are relatively easy to hit compared to Mourning Doves. Their flight tends to be much straighter and level with slower wing beats. First ones I took, and many since, have been doubles. I understand they have multiple broods each year, as many as 6 to 8 in some areas, which is how they colonize areas. I fear they will be come a major blight for agriculture. One other trait we have observed is they seem to arrive later in the morning than the other doves here. Has anyone else noted this late arrival in your area?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
One other trait we have observed is they seem to arrive later in the morning than the other doves here. Has anyone else noted this late arrival in your area?

My observation around Yuma is that the Euros start a bit later in the morning than do the mourning doves, but keep moving until a bit later in the day. The latest starters are the whitewings, often as much as an hour+ after the mourning doves.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Near subject ramble, not an argument, thanks .. based on my experiences, the Eurasian dove that we see tend to be larger than the white wings when both are in hand. They have a distinct silvery colour to them w/a pinkish blush close to what is seen on a morning dove. Perhaps we are seeing & taking immature white wings, I dunno. I have not noticed any white wings with fat on them when breasted, but many of the Eurasians will have some, so perhaps they are feeding better? Both are 'in town' birds. I have mourning dove, white wings, white-tipped & inter-bred collared dove that visit the feeders at the house. We put out a few hundred pounds of feed per annum at the house, the squirrels, possums & raccoons seem to get at least half of it. I only see the occasional feral pigeon or Eurasian in the back yard & they seem to be coming in to water on a small decorative ground level pond w/a fountain, rather than to feed. I used to frequently shoot white wings in Mexico years ago, but I never had a Eurasian in hand at that time to compare those birds with. Many of the mourning dove we've taken so far this year are immature or this year's birds. Here, there are also white-tipped dove & they seem to be smaller than a white wing, but a bit larger than a mourning dove. We mostly hunt dove in the afternoons, leaving the birds alone to pursue their morning routines undisturbed. In strong winds any of them can do some interesting and elusive antics & birds shot at previously can 'jink in a blink' and beat you & that includes feral pigeons. The pigeons or "paloma grande's" in South America are as wary as any bird out there. They don't appear to be going all that fast, but you'd best double whatever your brain is telling you about lead if you wish to hit one.

FWIW, I never saw a white wing north of the Texas valley until the early 70's and then I saw one in San Antonio around 1972. That was about the time that some of the drag chaining & root plowing began on the south side of the Rio Grand. Today, most of the scrub in that part of Mexico is long gone and producing vegetable crops w/irrigation. I don't know how far north the white wings have migrated, but they are present in the Texas panhandle today.

I don't recall the first time I began to see the Eurasian's out & about in W. Texas, but it has been at least six or more years ago. I've had some smaller grey colored ring-necked dove here in town since the mid seventies & they interbreed with the morning dove.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The Eurasian dove and the white wing dove we have shot for years here in Utah and in Arizona both are generally the same size. The adult white wing is often larger. The Eurasian dove has longer tail feathers. For body size here and in Arizona, both are the same, if both are adult birds and not half breeds.

I don't know about the Utah Euros, but take a look at the pic below. All were shot last Monday near Yuma, with .410 skeet loads, pass shooting over open ground. The two front rows are Euros, The back row is mournings on the left and a few whitewings on the right. Significant size advantage to the Euros. There were seven guys on that shoot, so multiply that sample size by about seven. The biggest whitewing of the day was about the same size as the smallest Euro.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Eurasian birds look at least twice as big as the Mourning doves I shoot. My recollection of Whitewings from my Mexico shooting days is that they were about a Mourning dove and a half.

Even breasted, the Whitewing's breasts are 1 1/2 times the size of Mourners. However, the Eurasian birds I shoot end up having breasts a little longer but not really any bigger at all than the Mourning dove. The size difference all seems to be wingspread and tail to me.

Would anyone happen to have a photo similar to the one Replacement posted above of the breasted doves divided by species?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

We have them in north Florida. I first started seeing them along the gulf coast and around twenty years ago I began seeing more of them inland.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With reference to size, I have both adult white wings and Eurasian doves coming to the feeder in the yard. I believe the Eurasians are a little larger which is confirmed by the pecking order. The White Wings yield to the Eurasians despite putting up some pretty good resistance at times. Perhaps there is little actual difference in size but these Eurasians appear a little larger.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.