May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (LGF, Joe Wood, Argo44, Jem Finch), 1,137 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,538
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We're always warning about loosing the lever check spring under the floor plate in those SWs but I've never lost one yet. However, I've managed to misplace the check pin (trip) while my "new" (1917) Philly 16 ga. was in pieces for a bit of a scrub and refurb. Been all over the carpet with a bar magnet. I ground one from the shank of a number drill but didn't get the "D" secton at top quite right as the extension won't release it. I assume the gauges (at least 12 and 16) share a common diameter and maybe other dimensions. Anyone have one in a parts box that they can measure? I'm avoiding taking the trigger plate out of another 12 ga. to find out.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack I emailed the dimensions from a 16 ga I had apart. It looks as if the 12, 16 and 20 ga are the same.

Jim A.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, all gauges use the same toplever trip! They are so easy to lose! You can remove the trip from your 12 gauge by taking the trigger plate front screw out and pushing the trip out from the top with small steel punch or rod. No need to remove trigger plate, just the screw. Bobby

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Exactly what I did, Bobby, as I needed to release the lever to get some crud off the tang on the right side. It wasn't in the pill bottle with all pins, screws, bolts, sears but the spring was? Also checked the coffee can of dirty gas in the barn; not in there. Right now I've got one that will check the lever and can be tripped with a pin punch but not by the extension. Thanks Jim and Bobby for the help. I'll take the one out of the 12BE so I can duplicate exactly.

jack

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Took the trip out of the 12 gauge and put it in the 16. It's under the overall length of Jim's example (about .556")and the striker or catch is too high or the columnar base with the spring bore is too long OR the trigger plate bolt is too long and/or the upper piston section is too short. The spring bore takes up all but one coil of the spring when pushed against a hard surface. With trigger plate bolt flush in the cntrbore, I can't even depress the D-shaped piston section at top. If I leave the trigger plate bolt backed out such that the head is just about out of the counterbore, I can release the trip with a punch or screwdriver but with barrels on not enuf length for extension to depress it far enuf to release the catch. Who says these are post Eli-Whitney "factory" guns? Anyway, I think I need another 20 thou length above the catch to start with. I think I'll make the next one to Jim's overall length and reduce the strike hgt and the spring-housing area until everything works. As a last resort I suppose I could reduce the length of the trigger plate bolt but don't think I'll start with that. Told my wife I was pretty PO'd about dropping/loosing the lever check and having to make another and she says "That ship has sailed; better get started." Nothing like a sympathetic ear!

jack

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bought a trip from Fox parter-outer at Gunbroker. Came today while I was at work. Took me about about an hour and a half to fit. I filed the shoulders of the strike lower to give more protrusion of the "D" piston under the rib extension. However still too much length to the spring in the hole section which made it bottom out and fail to depress far enuf to release the rotary bolt. So I dressed some off that end w/ 400 grit on a stick. I could tell how much to remove by watching how much the head of triggerplate bolt was proud of the cntrbre and still allowing the barrels to release the trip and the bolt. For ten bucks I was happy not to have to make one from scratch but not happy that I misplaced the original. Thanks to Jim and Bobby for the help.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, you can reduce length of trip spring. If you put too long a spring in trip and tighten the trigger plate screw down as tight as you can, the spring will compress and act like a solid piece and prevent the gun from closing all tha way!I have done it! Glad you got your Fox going. Now the trip you lost will show up! Bobby

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pressed against a hard surface, the trip and spring from my 12 BE left 1 1/2 coils exposed. Original spring from this gun buried completely in the hole in the new trip; still bottomed out equivalent of about 1/16" of the triggerplate bolthead not turned home in the cntrbore despite (or because of) lowering the strike to get the "D" piston higher rather than removing some from the top. Anyway, it's working consistently and I ran up 50 loads on the Sizemaster for skeet tomorrow.

jack

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.