April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis, ithaca1, PALUNC, battle), 881 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,829
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For no good reason other than nostagia... I want a rifle with a connection to Africa and all of the great hunters of the past. I can't justify $8 - 30 G's for an old dbl...I was thinking of either a Ruger No 1 (Single shot - like early days of the big game hunters) or a CZ 550 (Classic mauser action, controled feed, still very popular in Africa today). I am thinking .375 H & H. Beside "plinking", I could us it for a pig or two. Maybe some day an elk or that plains game Safari I dream about. Both are reasonable prices for good working guns.

Any suggestions on which one.

If I go with the CZ 550, which stock, the classic european, or the american style. I like the thought and looks of the european, but don't think it is as favorable for recoil or a scope. Agian any suggestions?

Any alternatives I might consider?

Once again, thanks for any input that the memebers will give.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always liked the idea of a Ruger No 1 with a nice hunk of wood in a big bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

how about a nice Mauser actioned rifle in 9.3x62 a classic African rifle in what was at one time the most widespread and popular medium bore

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Colt-Sauer Grand African in 4-5-8!
A brut of a rifle - sold the one I had some years ago for 1500.00!

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Mauser in 375 is about as classic as it gets. A Winchester mod 70 classic (the controlled feed version) probably comes next in look. Of course, you could also get a 404 or a 416. In the heyday of single shots for Africa, people tended to use bigger bores, often black powder. A four bore would be really nice!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ruger is reportedly working on the No.1 in .450/.400 3" with Hornady building the ammo. Perfection!

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a Mannlicher-Schoenauer? Used by Bell, Hemingway, and many others. You can choose among many calibers from classic 6.5mm to .458 Win. Mag. My personal favourite is a model 1910 rebereled to 8mm Mauser. - Regards, Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want a modern, classic design then I could not recommend more strongly the new Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger. Unlike the older Ruger .375 HH which weighed a ton, the new Hawkeye is a slim, control feed rifle with a standard length action. It "feels" like a pre-war sporter with a modern comb. The open sights are first rate, and when married with a replacement set of Warne detachable Ruger rings, it is a very huntable package. Recoil from the bench is a factor, but managable; when fired from sticks it was no issue at all. As a bonus, mine, at least, has a very nice piece of dark walnut. All of this is in a very affordable package because of the standard length action. The new caliber is loaded by Hornaday, using H&H bullets and throws the 300 gr RNSPs a couple hundred feet per second faster than the old magnum. Just a real neat rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't Teddy Roosevelt use a Winchester lever in Africa, was it a .405?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
Didn't Teddy Roosevelt use a Winchester lever in Africa, was it a .405?

Yes, it was also the most expensive safari mounted in it's day.

The question is which Africa are you being sentimental about?
W.D.M. Bell and Ernest Hemingway both had a foundness for the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Bell latter "moved up" to the 7x57 Mauser.
Or you could go with a four bore black powder gun!

Pete

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.