May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 238 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,278
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I miss having a place to fall turkey hunting

monty
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew
Who was CM

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was hoping one of our British or Anglophile correspondents might know Monty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All the pinfire shotshells I have ever seen had the pin coming out the side of the shell just ahead of the rim. This would put the pin coming out a cutout in the breech of the barrels, not in the standing breech of the action body. This is the way my Bar-in-Wood W & C Scott pinfire 12ga is constructed.
As nominal 10 ga is .775" as mentioned there is certainly nothing surprising about a .005" oversize of .780". What is the chamber size of this gun, 10 or 12. If it chambers a 12ga shell it was most likely built for use with thin wall brass shells. If 10 then it would have been for a standard paper shell.
The breech face of my pinfire is totally flat, no firing pin holes, no anything. I will say though the hammers certainly do look like pinfire hammers.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeweler,
I believe this is Westley Richards Patent No.1572 of 1871.

This is not my collecting specialty but I own this model
and two other variations. With the introduction of centerfire cartridges in c.1867, a number of makers (including Westley Richards) offered dual ignition guns (center and pinfire). Your model, with pin slots in the barrels, could have been a dual ignition.

If you remove your firing pins you'll note that they're a bit of a 'rube goldberg' design that works via a 'wedging action.' When the top piece is struck by the hammer it forces the 'half-moon' shaped pin out of the breech face.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, the hammers were never part of a pinfire, they don't even extend over the breech end of the barrels far enough to have ever punched a pinfire. The setup for the firing pins is typical Westley for the time period. The barrel finish is original. The bore diameter is most likely as made. There was no standard and that's sure in the ballpark. And quit worrying about cylinder bores--you're going to find the lack of chokes on your decoyed birds to be a big help.

It's day 8 on the river Maim in Bavaria. My "new" Dougall 10 bore will be in next week. We will have a lot to talk about!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe
I hope you are enjoying some good pork knuckle and beer.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, did you take pictures of the locks when you removed them? I have never taken mine out, so I don't know what they look like. Post pictures if you can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The trick to seeing whether the gun is a conversion, a dual ignition gun or an original center fire is to examine the barrels. A filled in area of the top of the breeches would indicate a conversion. End of story, I think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Helsley
Jeweler,
I believe this is Westley Richards Patent No.1572 of 1871.

This is not my collecting specialty but I own this model
and two other variations. With the introduction of centerfire cartridges in c.1867, a number of makers (including Westley Richards) offered dual ignition guns (center and pinfire). Your model, with pin slots in the barrels, could have been a dual ignition.

If you remove your firing pins you'll note that they're a bit of a 'rube goldberg' design that works via a 'wedging action.' When the top piece is struck by the hammer it forces the 'half-moon' shaped pin out of the breech face.

I think Steve has a good point. I cannot get to the picture trail portion of Monte's post, so cannot see if the Richards has slots in the barrel breech for pinfire pins, but the hammers are pinfire hammers, complete with the "rest" block that would bear on the top of the standing breech after firing. The hammers are sized so that they would strike the pin easily where it sits approx. .100" from the standing breech. I think if used as a pinfire, the dual ignition centerfire firing pins would be removed.

If the gun does not have the cutouts for the pinfire pins in the barrel, then the gun could be a conversion or even rebarreled . More pictures might help.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.