March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 295 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44
Sidelock
Sidelock

Closest I've come to a left & right. The first bird was already on the ground when the 2nd one flushed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, went out after work today to a place close to home. Saw quite a few birds, but they are getting spooky. That time of year. I was able to limit in a hour and a half, so it was a good day. Glad I live where I do!

Used my 16ga Carl Goluch

Best!

Greg

More pictures of that Goluch hammergun please, gjw!
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, well today was our pheasant opener, it was a success, but took longer to limit than what I expected. The winds we had didn't help much at all, 18mph with gusts into the 20's. The temps hit the 70's, but the winds cooled things down. I was surprised that the birds we got and seen were all colored out. Did see a couple of young roosters not quite colored out. They were the exceptions. Dog worked well and our shooting was good overall (couple misses!).

Here's my son Will with his birds and a grouse. He was using his 12ga Fabarm Classis:

My birds, I also got two grouse. I was using my 12b Purdey:

Overall a very good day!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, went out today, but not for long, got rained out. Pretty wet by the time we got done. Not a good day as far as hunting goes, my son Will & I only got a bird a piece. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Will used his 16ga Sauer Royal and I used my 16ga Dickinson:

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
I really enjoy this thread. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

We picked up a limit of wild roosters on the Flathead Reservation in western MT this morning. Fresh snow on the peaks, a gentle breeze in the valley, and Kaiser my giant GSP got it done.
I used a Merkel M8 LH with steel safe chokes, #5 steel in the right tube, #2 in the left, IC/M chokes. Smoked 'em!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yncbn7ycbsnkqec/Kaiser_2014_ColumbusDay_Ronan.jpg?dl=0

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey gjw,

How do you prepare them Sharptails to make them edible?

Vernal

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cook em for an hour on a plank, Vernal. Then throw the bird away and eat the plank.

Seriously, young birds aren't all that bad, but by the middle of September they are all too oxygenated to taste good for me.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

RCC and I have argued about this for years and everybody knows he is wrong. Filet out the breast meat, marinate in a ziplock with Italian salad dressing for 1-3 hours. The put them on a HOT grill...I mean it's so hot it creaks...and then sear them for 30 seconds per side. Seriously, if I'm doing a large batch I'm turning the first ones over just as the last ones hit the grill.

Fabulous, with cheesy potatoes and a nice cabernet.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, Number 2 son (Jim) and I went out today for a couple hours. Didn't see a whole lot (odd, but one of those days) but what we saw we got. Today was Spanish gun day. Jim used his 12ga v. Sarasqueta Model 3EC and I used my 16ga Ugarteachea Model 1030. It was a great day with just myself and Jim, sure love these times with my boys.

Jim and his bird:

I got a rooster and 2 Huns:

And the one who made it all possible, Duchess:

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.