Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

None of our favorite collections will be in the same place again, but they will be in the hands of collectors who will value them and pass them on when the "time comes".

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is funny but I don't consider the 80 something rifles I own a collection, even though the vast majority are pre-war custom sporters. I see each one as an individual rifle, with its' own attributes and qualities. The majority carry the name Griffin and Howe, Owen, Linden, Sukalle, and Niedner, while others are known as the "Mississippi Custom" because it was made by an unknown craftsman there. As I have said on this blog before, we do not OWN THESE WONDERFUL GUNS, WE ARE MERELY LUCKLY ENOUGH TO BE THEIR CARETAKER,FOR A SHORT WHILE. When the auction for Petrov's estate takes place, there won't be "Michael Rifles" on auction, there will be rifles being auctioned, that were built by the likes of the talented men above, that were last owned by Mr. Petrov. If a particular gun is more valuable having been owned by Petrov, then by all means buy it, as the money goes to his family, and that is a good thing. Remember however, when your family sells it in your estate, the value will be determined by who built it. The Indians knew the land, like these rifles OWN US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Much truth to that Alvin, much truth.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was always of the belief that a man's guns should go to his children/grandchildren.This was due to the ,maybe mistaken,hope that they would mean as much to them as my own dad's and grandfather's(also uncle's, old friend's)guns mean to me.I,more and more,am being disappointed by the attitude of some inheritors of old guns.In a gunshow, I was once asked to buy an old rifle, the owner of which said belonged to his grandfather.At the same time, his son was standing next to him.While I believe a man can do what he wants with his property,I refused to be the one that took that boy's greatgrandfather's rifle from him.It was in good shape, but old rifles like that one are not worth much to anyone else, yet could be priceless to an heir.Once it is gone from the family, it has lost it's Id and real value.The last time I saw the man, he was leaving with a plastic stocked, stamped part modern gun, over his shoulder, and a sad son following. I think, now, my opinion might have to change. Thanks for allowing me to "rant".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike: I agree wholeheartedly! How will it sound in 50 years when the next generation tells their grandchildren, "I remember your Granddad sitting in the den, after a hunt lovingly applying Armorall to this beautiful piece of plastic. SAD but most of the modern world is.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess this is a question for Joe, and first of all, let me give you my heartfelt
thanks for starting this thread. Were there any special guns that Michael wanted
to be kept in the family, if so what were they?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great rant Mike. Even if it doesn't work out, the opinion can still be good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never give a thought to what happens to my guns except that my brother outlives me, and what a hassle it's going to be for him, like it is for Joe right now. As much as a treat as it might seem to us, it is one tremendous hassle and my thanks goes out to Joe for taking it on. Thanks for sharing the Gun Room photos, although I don't think any of us want to see any "after" pics...

Michael and I had some talks about this eventuality, but we sure figured there was "more time" to sort things out. I've been doing small things to identify and attach value to some of my stuff to hopefully make it easer for brother Chris or...
The guns will always wind up in the hands of who appreciates them most.

I've got a lot of different stuff, different colletions so several different lists, book cases, drawers, etc...
I've never attached much value to money so I've got more than my share of stuff.

In this pic, cartridge boxes, vintage Lawrence holster, Navajo saddle blanket, vintage & modern Acoma pots. You can just see the bottom of a set of Keith Brown Roper target grips on the vintage K-38 (or K.22?) in the holster. Of course I've got books that discuss each.. (and 8,888 guns)

Sidelock
Sidelock

The large Zia pot and the "Two Grey Hills" Navajo rug are each worth considerably more than the S&W revolver, but who would know that? The little vintage Zia is worth as much as the revolver. I like handmade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I worry about my 2 buildings full of hardwood lumber on my passing. Everything else is spoken for but several thousand feet of mostly walnut none of the kids seem too interested in.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.