April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kolar Dickson, Der Ami, Jeremy Pearce, LGF, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 777 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,837
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are other options for those that do not like Italian double with Chinese new year ornamentations. Near New York City Public Library (couple buildings distant) off 5TH going east there is this place where they can tailor gun to your needs. They also have place in London which is nice because you can also have tailored suits, shirts and shoes made for you. Once they have molds of your feet can order shoes be be shipped to your country estate. This is what is called bundling. I discovered they actually have English restaurants/pubs. This is wonderful idea first you drink some alcohol then you can actually swallow their food.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Virginian
Originally Posted By: JNW
Interesting attempt, but Beretta dropped the ball on letting this out of the factory as is.
Pluses: I love the wood surrounding the receiver. Beautiful and difficult to do. Bar in wood guns and island locks have long been considered some of the most attractive attributes on a SxS. I like the barrels, but it's not a new thing. I had a Beretta 470, one of the original run, that had mono bloc barrels with no perceivable joint. They stopped making them that way because it was too expensive. The receiver shape is gorgeous and sexy. And those aren't snakes - they're dragons. I like dragons, but saying they are a tribute to pheasants because they are Asian is just stupid. With that logic they could have put a teapot on the gun because it's Asian. I like the swamped rib. When I shoot I try to not look at the gun, so ribs don't mean much to me.
Minuses: I believe the top lever is minimalist and not supposed to detract from the rest of the gun. It is simply awful. I thought Italians knew how to make things pretty. The trigger guard is so out of place it immediately draws your eye, but certainly not in a good way. The traditional ways of attaching guards work well and many of them are attractive. The leaf springs are traditional, but not required for great trigger pulls. I'll bet they are a pain to replace in this gun. I still have not seen any laser engraving that I like at all.
So, I do applaude Beretta for trying to push the design and aesthetics of the SxS, but this failed. Fixing the shape of the trigger guard and top lever will transform the look of this gun. I looked at some of the stuff that Marc Newsom is famous for designing. I have a fairly well rounded and sophisticated sense of style, but he doesn't do much for me.
What Beretta was trying to do has already been done by another Italian company. Here's the real deal.
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-2187-exc...ith-case-47078/
The Bertuzzi Orione is the most svelte, sexiest game gun ever made, IMHO.
Regards,
Jeff

Pretty, but a non-selective single trigger on a gun that expensive is a total turn off to me.

The single trigger is selective.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Ford O21C is a great piece of design. I also think a modernistic side by side designed from scratch could have a side lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like the edsel of shotguns

Sidelock
Sidelock

The standard 486 looks a whole lot nicer. too bad its not available in a 20

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
PS. People pay lot of money for new Merkel SxS shotguns and in terms of aesthetics those guns are truly horrendous. There is no doubt unless one is talking classic Mauser sporters or hideous multi-barrel complexities when it comes to guns Italians do far, far better job than Germans.

I can't comment on Merkel s/s - as I haven't handled one. However Merkel o/u may look ungainly, but they have fantastic fast handling - and I prefer a gun that handles well to one that looks well. I much prefer the Merkel 303 to a Beretta SO6.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Merkel 147E and the action is similar to the the Greener Trebble Wedge Fast. It's a great gun with Krupp steel barrels, the kind that competed with Whitworth steel at the turn of the last century. It has a lot of high end features that make it a fantastic gun. However, I feel that some don't like the Teutonic engraving. This new Beretta has some intriguing new features that I really like. The new sculpted frame is very classy and the island safety is really cool. The engraving however, is not for everybody. I would buy the gun if it isn't over $5k. After that, the gun isn't something that speaks to me, "buy it".

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta did not build it for this market thats for sure. Having said that sometimes I think I would like to have a modern SxS with long barrels and chokes to suit me. Like the Perazzi DC 20. I could live with a single trigger if it worked well as well as Beretta's O/U triggers. Would rather leave off that engraving though. Too many frills and flourishes for me.

This from a guy with 6 Parkers who's not a gun collector.

Boats

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
The text is clasic new age Berettese, maybe someone can translate this bit:

"While most shotguns screw the guard to the bottom of the receiver, the 486 by Marc Newson inserts the trigger guard into a milled guide. The result is a perfect junction of two surfaces, which creates a higher aesthetic value."

That translates to "we cheaped out on the triggerguard and made it look like it came off a Savage 311, then covered it in flowery language and pretentiousness", or something like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Austin Hawthorne
It looks like the edsel of shotguns

That's the best summation yet....for that I gave you two stars.

The guy should have stuck to making weird clocks.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.