April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (CJ Dawe, bigblock, Researcher, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,130
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I get them all, great reference guides to keep up on prices.Almost hate to write in them.
I will say after carrying that one around (@4 pounds) for 2 days straight I was happy to put it down.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

The results are posted. The beautifully-stocked Remington 12-C went for $2875. Townie Whelen's Wundhammer must have been withdrawn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed that many of the Petrov Springfield 03 custom rifles in the recent Amoskeag auction were built on the older "low number" actions, which raised a few questions:

1. Did Mr. Petrov regularly shoot these rifles with factory ammunition, or were they primarily collector's item due to their history, stock-maker, or barrel-maker?

2. Did the famous makers such as G&H, Sedgley, Neidner, etc. re-heat treat these older 1903 actions when converting them to custom rifles?

3. Did the "low number" 1903 actions significantly impact the auction prices?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
I noticed that many of the Petrov Springfield 03 custom rifles in the recent Amoskeag auction were built on the older "low number" actions, which raised a few questions:

1. Did Mr. Petrov regularly shoot these rifles with factory ammunition, or were they primarily collector's item due to their history, stock-maker, or barrel-maker?

2. Did the famous makers such as G&H, Sedgley, Neidner, etc. re-heat treat these older 1903 actions when converting them to custom rifles?

These are the kinds of questions trolls ask, how about giving your opinions and your research first and then asking us what we think?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40

Since Michael is not here to offer his opinion, I'll just post his response to a previous poster who asked a similar question. His response to the heat treat issue is one of my all time favorite Michael Quotes.

posted 14 February 2008 23:45 Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I see from the serial number that it's a "low number" RIA rifle - below SN 285,507. I know that these rifles are hard to find, but wouldn't you prefer a higher number for safety reasons?

"Wundhammer IMO was one of the greatest American custom gunmakers of his day. He made over two-hundred custom sporters, today I know where nine are. This restoration project needs to be done right so the rifle that this stock will take needs the right type and vintage rifle. The one Safety Issue I have is that if I do this wrong the heat in hell might affect my safety.

Each person should educate themselves about the low-number 1903 Springfields and decide for themselves if they should shoot or not shoot. When I get a 1903 sporter I check the headspace, use modern brass and load to factory pressures, the serial number of the rifle is not a factor." Michael Petrov.

Hope that helps,
John Holliger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Saathoff
I hope some of the members here, picked up a few of these rifles today. I was surprised that many did not pull the prices that I thought they would and seemed to be really good deals. But then I was interested in some of the custom guns by Niedner that I thought would bring more money. Doc Baker's (my favorite) double set trigger Borchardt with the cocking knob only brought $3250. Many of the custom 03's didn't bring near as much either.. You can go to the Proxibid website and see the posted prices.

Hello Bob,
You wouldn't know who bought that converted Borchardt that was built for Dr. Baker would you? Michael kindly stripped it down and photographed the internals of the Breech Block for me. The only thing he didn't picture was the item a small through pin held in the area of the firing pin tip. Mike said he would strip it down again next time he had the rifle at the range, as he didn't know what the pin held either. Sadly he never did take it to the range again, he passed in just a few weeks after our communication.

If anyone knows who bought this 'one off' rifle or it was you who did, I'd be obliged if you could send me a PM with the particulars of the new owner as I'd like to get in contact with him. I thought whoever got it got a bargain. Thanks in advance.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The way I figure, low number Springfields, which were really brittle and going to blow up, have all blown up by now. The ones used in custom sporters by top end gunmakers have been carried in the field and fired for close to a century. They have not blown up yet, and my guess is they aren't going to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Per the limited correspondence I had with him regarding low # Springfields, he did in fact shoot them with standard loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: prairie ghost
Per the limited correspondence I had with him regarding low # Springfields, he did in fact shoot them with standard loads.

Not only did he shoot them he tried to get a few LN receivers to blow up without success and he posted his tests which were quite extensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry,
I don't know who bought the Doc Baker rifle but as we are both fans of the Borchardt, I would have certainly liked to have become its new owner. I just have never found myself able to bid online which is required to purchase a rifle like that along with the buyers fees, shipping, etc.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.