April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (PALUNC, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#385932 12/01/14 10:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While visiting with family at Thanksgiving I was given this gun to see what I could find out about it including whether or not it functioned properly and was safe to shoot. I have no idea how it is choked. Can that be determined from the stampings in the pictures? I think the date is 1960 but I can't say for sure. It has an "F" and what I think is a lightly struck "1" after it.

I took the barrels off and tapped them. That is the only way I know how to check for a potentially loose rib. I also took the forend off and did the sweep test to determine if there was any play. The gun passed the informal rib test and seemed to be tight and on face. I also dry fired it a couple dozen times with snap caps and I cleaned everything I could without removing the stock. The barrels have some light pitting but not enough that I wouldn't consider using the gun if it passed a firing test.

Some varnish is coming off the stock and it has quite a few scratches. It very well could have been used to drive stakes or paddle a boat.

This gun has not been taken care of but it is functional. I took out Saturday to make sure. I stuffed a shell in each tube, held it by the grip with my right arm fully extended and pulled each trigger. I wanted it as far away from my body as possible if it came unglued. Then I reloaded it and fired each barrel a second time. After that all I needed to do was see if I could hit the broadside of a barn with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
After that all I needed to do was see if I could hit the broadside of a barn with it.

SH I found that my success ratio improves if I'm standing inside the barn.

I've had a couple of small bore Zabala's that proved to be reliable.

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is never a bad idea to be cautious with an unfamiliar weapon. But the examination you did pre-firing, particularly of the barrels, sounds like an adequate one for a 1960's era gun, and Zabala made good barrels. I've shot several. I certainly wouldn't worry about a barrel burst.

The wrap against this era of Spanish gun is some of them had inadequately hardened internal parts... triggers, sears, safeties, springs and hammers sometimes wear prematurely. I don't know this to be the case for this Zabala. I haven't experienced it in mine.

A "poor man's" choke gauge is a dime. A dime won't fit into a "full" choke 12 ga. from the muzzle, but will fit into more open bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure Kyrie or another expert on Spanish guns will be along shortly to explain the markings and talk about Zabala Hermanos. They made shotguns to any ordered price point, much like any other Spanish maker..

One point I'd like to make is about stock finish. That's probably the weakest point about Spanish guns. On those I've restored, including ZH's, the stock finish is God-awful. It no doubt looked nice when new, but after 40 or 50 years of use they look pretty rough. The finish appears to be some type of plastic/poly topcoat applied over a coating of some type of paint rather than stain. Once all this is removed, the grain is revealed and really stands out. I'll never understand why they didn't use a more natural finish. After the prep, I re-stain with alkanet spirit stain, rub with alkanet oil (Andy's Oil) for a day or so, then French-Polish using Andy's Oil as the lubricant. After the finish is done, I wax the wood.

Re-doing the stock finish is key, it really makes a difference.

Last edited by Ken61; 12/01/14 11:19 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The original chokes are shown by the 14.5/15.7 and 14.7/15.7 stamps just in front of the barrel flats. Assuming the chokes and/or the barrels have not been touched, and assuming I did my math correctly, the chokes are .040 and .048 in. On a 20 gauge, I believe those would qualify as Seriously Full and OMG Full.

But you would need to get them measured to confirm if they remain as they were made. If they are, I would love to see the patterns . . . .

Last edited by Doverham; 12/01/14 01:34 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's interesting to note that the issue of "soft steel" never appeared in Europe, (to my knowledge) even though the vast majority of Spanish guns were sold there. I'll reiterate what many have said before, that the real issue was using guns for purposes that they weren't designed for, and then experiencing higher rates of failure. For example, using a light/medium game gun in the place of a Trap or Duck gun.

Overall, the gun looks in pretty good shape. A 20 ga would be very nice. A stock refinish and a "Spruce-up" of the barrels with Cold Blue would be easy. After that you'd have a nice little shooter....

Last edited by Ken61; 12/01/14 11:16 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

A good work horse of a shotgun, 2 3/4 inch chambers

Leave as is for one year and shoot the heck out of it
and if you like it LOTS then see about refinishing it.

An F1 date code would be 1960

A MODERN gun in my estimation

http://chheraclides.com/html/zabala_hermanos.html

Zabala is now out of business, since the Father died
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=361769

Mike

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/01/14 12:26 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The 15.7 is bore, .618. The 14.5 is choke, rounding it up is .571. the 14.7 is again rounding up is .579
Bore is .618 minus .571= .047 constriction and the other is .039 constriction.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the date code? Is it "F" (1933) or "F1" (1960)? It's hard for me to tell....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would have to get the stock refinished and the barrels blued if I was going to use it. Approximately what would that cost? I think you can see the rust on the outside of the barrels in the picture where I showed the breech end. They would have to be polished before bluing to get rid of that. It is on the surface only, there is no pitting. The stock needs a small plug about 1/4" in diameter where I removed the rear sling swivel stud. I dislike those things on shotguns.

Here is another view of the barrel flats showing what I think is part of a "1" after the "F".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.