Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That Rabbit, looks like my old M37S butt stock - tho' missing the rather ornate checkering. Many a poacher, trespasser, hillbilly and backwood sorts did get to see the other end at times.
Not to mention, a well appointed deer camp down by the lake.
Those poor deer hunters, are always lost - ain't they!
That plugless M37S, earned its keep.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's mighty Purdey Jack! What "E" is it 4?5? etc. Anyway it's really nice.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Mann; 05/06/07 09:31 PM.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sat at GunBroker seven days; I took pity on it altho I'd rather have had one of the "good" ones with those "personalized" comb mods or some initials that ain't mine. Gonna look good beside my 1918 4E w/ the swamped rib barrels and the Brit reproof. Never could find a good 16 ga Sterly "sleeper" or one of these in sort of "prestine" condition (as Beans used to say) until I started looking for Manufrance Ideals. There is serendipity in misdirection.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

See what happens Rabbit, you dottle with those Frenchmen's guns long enough and something good pops-up.
No doubt it'll look good in your cabinet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a cabinet but being a pipe smoker I have abundant dottles. I try to keep from breaking them out on guns, especially French guns. I don't know much about engraving but I like these Ithaca trapguns sealed in the historical amber of Sousa and the White Fleet. I also feel in my bones the Druidic obsession with wude and the price was just barely digestable for a member of the Sterlingworth proletariat. To the PO, posthaste so to speak.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack-

I have wondered how many of the "throwbacks" among us who own and shoot SxS and are also pipe smokers. To me it seems a pretty natural combination, which I will admit I have taken to the extreme to include smoking a pipe (usually one of my shorter "bull dogs") and shooting my doubles at the same time! Really quite relaxing.

I am still waiting to see all this over the top wood folks are talking about. Anyone who loves pipe briar would not likely see anything on a firearm that would seem "too much" for their tastes! Plain or fancy, wood is God's handiwork, not man's.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of pipes, I just got these 8 pipes. I like to smoke a pipe occassionally, but I have never had my own pipe.

They look dirty and some might need new stems, but the 8 pipes, pipe holder and tobacco jar cost me under 15$ including shipping, so I should be fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

StormsGSP-

What a great deal! The pipe rack alone was worth that and it looks like your bargain includes many nice pipes to boot (several have the look of Kaywoodies). I own and smoke mostly "estate pipes" (sounds better than used) like the ones you have there, and most of the folks "in the know" go for the older estate pipes. The stems in the photographs look just find to me, those can be polished to look like brand new.

Estate pipes are time proven (if one didn't smoke well, the prior owner would have likely thrown it away) and like mine, they should give you years of good service. Pipe smoking is nearly a lost art, buy good tobacco from a pipe shop (not the grocery store stuff), and don't be shy about asking questions, it isn't as easy as it looks.

Just like our shotguns, you don't need to spend a king's ransom, but as you study the subject you may soon find yourself looking at spending several hundred dollars for a single pipe.
Happy shooting and piping!

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Squat bulldogs with just the right size bowl are smooth-smoking and I alway thought all the extra wood made them cooler to the fingers. If I had all the bits I've broken or chewed thru I'd have a lot of unsightly junk with slobber on it.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am very close to my next door neighbor, who collects pipes, among a myriad other things. He has some beautiful ones. He has mostly older Petersons. The pipes I got are made by: Willard, Duke, and Medico that I know. I'm excited to get them.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.