April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (AGS), 357 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re German, it was the most commonly taught foreign language in the United States prior to WWI. (I would have guessed Latin.) However, anti-German sentiment during the war changed all of that. In some places, it actually became illegal to speak German.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Russell Boot Company, makers of some the finest boots anywhere, is located in Berlin WI. Before the WWII, it was pronounced berLIN, but once the war started, it became BERlin, which it remains today

Sidelock
Sidelock

Berlin, GA is also pronounced BER' lin.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Philbert
Vail,

I am not far from Bay City/Saginaw. Let me know if I can help with your research.

Phil

Thanks Phil! I would like to contact Emil Flues' nephew again, but not sure if he's alive? I have old contact info I got from the Double Gun Journal back when I first found my 1881 Marlin-Flues rifle. It's no longer valid. His name is Martin Seitz, and present location unknown to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Re German, it was the most commonly taught foreign language in the United States prior to WWI. (I would have guessed Latin.) However, anti-German sentiment during the war changed all of that. In some places, it actually became illegal to speak German.

My father was born in the USA, but never spoke English until he was 12 yrs. old. The small town in E. Washington state where he was born was all German immigrants, so everyone spoke German, until the outbreak of WWI. At that time the county sheriff came through town, and told everyone they could no longer speak German in public. My grandmother was later arrested, and spent a few days in jail, as she was reported by a neighbor who heard her speaking German. It was a different world back then, especially in rural USA, where a small town sheriff could pretty much do what he wanted. My grandfather had died 2 years previous, so no adult male in the house to protest her arrest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Martin may have passed away.
http://www.tributes.com/show/Martin-G.-Seitz-82797371

The interactions between the various ethnic groups that settled and developed an area are complicated. My Grandmother could not marry the great love of her life because of religious differences between her family, and her boyfriend's. All German's, but Catholic/Lutheran was a no-no. They met again 70 years later when Earl looked her up after my Grandfather died. They kept company for a few months before he died.
I live right in the middle of the area Flues first started in. I think Reese (Blumfield twshp) is about 15 mins from here.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 11/27/14 03:15 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I believe Martin may have passed away.
http://www.tributes.com/show/Martin-G.-Seitz-82797371

I wonder if anyone kept track of the info that Martin had gathered for his uncle? He was very helpful in assisting me with information on my Flues 1881, and what info his uncle had for it. I found this for Martin.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=81498748

Last edited by Vall; 12/03/14 02:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting about the Germans and still speaking German in America. My Swedish ancestors on my paternal Grandfather's side and my Norwegian ancestors on my maternal Grandmother's side both came to America in 1870, briefly to Illinois then to Minnesota. All my grandparents and great aunts & uncles talked about the fact that while their parents spoke Swedish or Norwegian among themselves, they wouldn't allow my grandparents or parents generation to speak anything but English(American).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
All my grandparents and great aunts & uncles talked about the fact that while their parents spoke Swedish or Norwegian among themselves, they wouldn't allow my grandparents or parents generation to speak anything but English(American).

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen .........". 2 Samuel 1:25

America today no longer even resembles that. So many immigrants no longer desire to, and are certainly not required to, learn and speak proper English, and we are expected to cater to whatever they choose to speak.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Interesting about the Germans and still speaking German in America. My Swedish ancestors on my paternal Grandfather's side and my Norwegian ancestors on my maternal Grandmother's side both came to America in 1870, briefly to Illinois then to Minnesota. All my grandparents and great aunts & uncles talked about the fact that while their parents spoke Swedish or Norwegian among themselves, they wouldn't allow my grandparents or parents generation to speak anything but English(American).

Used to know a rancher in the Texas Hill country who still spoke German, so did his family and he is not alone. Even when he spoke English he used German grammar. He was the 5th generation, born in the US. The older ranchers & family today speak German among themselves. Amazing how such customs continue.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.