May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 1,134 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,670
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, you are off and running to a better than good start. Nice work. We lost a regular contributor several years ago who probably didn't live far from you in the UK. Ballistix999. He was a self-taught gun restorer/smith who did beautiful work. I looked for some of his threads, but unfortunately the photos and videos were taken down after his death as well as his website. Tony's battle with cancer was featured on BBC (one of the channels). Tony had some great videos on case hardening actions (on his car port) browning barrels and blackening hardware. Perhaps someone here can steer you to a site that may have some of his work. He also did an e-book, a compilation of his projects. He is missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes he is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"A Hunter's Life in South Africa" by R. Gordon Cumming. To read about guns, James Purdey, Westley Richard, John Dickson and some others in the field, great stuff!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised that long list of Double Gun Books did not include Shotgun Technicana by McIntosh and Trevallion. It's out of print, but well worth reading if you can locate a copy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you guys, i think i have a good short list to be getting on with.

I may start a blog myself at some point as i do like to share what i do and every day I'm working on something and i already try to keep a picture record of things i am working on.

Very best wishes,

James.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I'm surprised that long list of Double Gun Books did not include Shotgun Technicana by McIntosh and Trevallion. It's out of print, but well worth reading if you can locate a copy.

I agree its an excellent book - and it is listed (in the middle of the McIntosh section)

Slightly off topic - there is an excellent shooting bibliography called "Shooting Flying" by Robin Chute. ISBN 0 046053-04 9 published in 2001. It lists 689 shooting books, many rare and historical.
Personal shooting favourites are by Gough Thomas, Peter Hawker (especially the diaries) and Don Zutz. Jonathan Ruffer's "The Big Shots" is also great fun to read.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will find an incredible number of vintage shooting/ hunting books on Google Books you can download free if they are out of copyright. Absolutely invaluable stuff and much is near impossible to find in print today.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

'The gun and it's development' by W W Greener is a fascinating book. Possibly a bit biased towards a certain business he was involved in but very good all the same wink
I found the books by Mr Hadoke to be very well written and informative. Lots of really good pictures in those too .
A smaller book I enjoy looking through is 'The shooters handbook' by Richard Arnold.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always loved W W Greeners The Gun & its development, I just have the modern paper back version of course...but its a great read ,from a guy who really was a genuine hands on maker, inventor business man & general Powder-Head from a hundred n twenty five years ago ,lol
One of those books I can just open randomly & dig it right away
Cheers Franc

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.