Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to ship an early English hammergun circa 1870 back to England and am running up against what they say are new restrictions apparently imposed by the UK.
Does anyone here have a current method or best way to get a gun over there. I plan to ship it to John Farugia at Cheshire Gun Room, Stockport UK. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards, George

Last edited by George L.; 12/15/14 07:34 PM.

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

George,
you should think about joining the NSSF,they do a lot to keep gun dealers like you up to date on many laws including import export laws.

http://www.nssf.org/govrel/importexportconference/

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sometimes think it is easier and almost as cheap to take the gun over there in your luggage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George you shouldn't have too much problem shipping to a dealer and he should know how you go about it. Remember, what you call an antique isn't the same as we in Britain call an antique. Certain gun pre 1939 can be called antique in certain calibres but certain guns that post 1860 may not be antique here. It all depends on calibre. Any 12 bore centre fire breech loader irrespective of age is not an antique; same for 16's, 20's and 28's. Check with J.F. first as he should know (although his knowledge on Proof legislation has a few gaps in it)! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

You want to be careful with ITAR, and and the US Dept od Commerce,
You might want to check with your IOI contact at the ATF George even thou its an antique here.

http://www.borderview.com/services/for-individuals/pre-1899-export-exemption/

United States law (specifically the “ITAR” – International Traffic in Arms Regulations”) allows for the export without an export license of firearms (rifles and pistols) that were manufactured before January of 1899, or replicas of such firearms. This guide provides some details about the so-called “Pre-1899 Exemption.” Here are the basics: Does not apply to Shotguns: shotgun exports are regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the U.S. Department of State, and there is not an equivalent exemption for shotguns.

You could also try these guys here,note the "not for resale" part

http://www.usaigroup.com/export-import-compliance/

ITAR currently authorizes Customs to permit the following exports of defense equipment without a license: (1) non-automatic firearms manufactured before 1898 (collectibles and antiques) and replicas, (2) minor components for certain firearms that do not exceed $100 wholesale per transaction and (3) temporary exports of up to three non-automatic firearms and up to 1,000 cartridges per U.S. citizen or resident alien if the firearms are intended exclusively for personal use (hunting or self-protection), are not for resale, and are shipped as baggage.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure that there are any new restrictions imposed on the import of shotguns to the UK. In my travels back and forth to US shows, I have not come up against any (last trip to the Vintage Cup in September, next to Las Vegas in January).
However, there has been a tightening of the rules applied by the shipping companies in regard to firearms in any direction, international or domestic, and it may well be these new company rules and regs that you are coming up against.
Basically they have decided that guns and the security considerations that they entail are too much trouble and expense and so it easier to not be involved.
As I avoid shipping guns back to the UK, all my guns travel as checked luggage, it doesn't really effect me but I can imagine that without using air freight and an agent/customs broker on both ends, it is going to be fairly difficult but probably not impossible.
You should consult with JF as he may have a suitable route he can recommend.
Otherwise, it would be best to carry it yourself or find someone who can offer you that service.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Additionally:
My most recent information, mainly anecdotal, on the export of shotguns from the USA has led me to believe that there is no need for an export licence from the USA providing the shotgun is your own property. This is how I can return unsold guns to the UK after shows.
However, the importer of the gun into the UK must have some kind of import licence (and also a permit to possess the gun) to bring it into the UK.
Furthermore, the gun would be subject to VAT and import duty on arrival unless the importer has an 'Inward Processing Relief' registration.
Lastly, the gun would need an export licence to get it back out to you after the work was done. In this case of a gun made before 1897, that can be done under an 'Open General Export Licence' but the exporter does need to be registered with UK customs to use this facility.
I know this all sound horribly complicated but anybody in the UK who has done this (properly!) even once before will have all the authorities and processes in place and it shouldn't cause YOU any extra work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When travelling out of the UK with a firearm purchased here, you do need an export permit unless you have the gun on a UK shotgun Certificate or Visitors shotgun permit. Do not turn up at the airport without one or the gun is likely to be seized.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.