May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (AZMike, Southern Sport, tut), 746 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,065
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a smoked Canada goose last weekend. the bird was plucked with skin and fat intact. It was smoked after brining with the meat on the rare side. Sliced thin and it was delicious.

tudurgs #388186 12/24/14 11:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
Mark - You may want to try this sauce. Breast out the bird, marinate it in Italian Salad Dressing, and cook no more than Medium rare.

1 10 oz. Jar red currant jelly
1 ˝ C. dry Sherry
3 oz. Lemon juice
2 oz. Soy sauce
2 oz. A-1 Sauce
3 oz. Catsup

Blend first 6 items and simmer over low heat until reduced. (Approximately 45 min) Do not overcook, or sauce will become caramel.

Grille breasts quickly (3-4 min per side) until rare or med. rare.

Slice across the grain, arrange on plate and drizzle with warm sauce. Cook up some wild rice, and marinate the cook in red wine, and you're good to go!
Enjoy!

Wow! That sounds amazing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Ahh... Our grain fed waterfowl from the interior. Infinitely better than those from the saltwater side of the state!! Congrats. While stuffed and roasting whole is the Christmas tradition, I'm with Tudurgs to marinate the breast filets and cook and serve like rare flank steak. Legs and thighs in the crockpot.

You think your seaside geese are bad, just try our resident Georgia golf course birds. A steady diet of grass clippings and pesticided mole crickets make for some really dandy eating!

On the other hand grain fed Saskatchewan Speckle-bellies smoke up better than Turkey IMHO. We're having a deep fried butterball turkey and a smoked pork shoulder which we'll pull and make barbeque sandwichs topped with home made vinegar cole slaw for dinner tomorrow...Geo

Merry Christmas all!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark - Two disclaimers - if the bird is a big, old bird, I don't care what you do to it, it will be tough. Someone gave me the breasts off a bird with a 60" wingspan (!) and it was so tough you couldn't cut the gravy.
Secondly, don't forget the part about marinating the cook in red wine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love the picture

have not hunted waterfowl for years - but a whole roasted goose was a tradition back then- Don't know where the recipe went- but the cavity was filled with a few potatoes onions and I think apples - the stuffing was tossed but it mellowed the flavor just right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive had good luck with potentially tough meat like big turkey breasts n thighs...even legs, by putting it in a good sized ziplock with some olive oil, garlic & herbs/seasoning (I love Cummin) & then give it a thorough beating with my hard rubber kitchen mallet.Let it rest for a half hour & repeat...seems to break up the fibers well, & the oil carries the seasoning into the meat.Also its pretty thin now & cooks fast without drying...if your sauteeing in a pan it does a great job
Hope its good however you do it up,
Merry Christmas lads
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll eat snow geese. I won't waste a round of ammunition on a Giant Canada at this point in my life. It seems like most of them I've eaten had developed a taste for river mollusks that accumulate just down from the sewage plant on the river.
A friend grinds the whole, 'shitten mess that is a dead Canada goose and adds beef or pork to make jerky.
Not jerky that is as good as regular beef or pork jerky, but, tolerable jerky.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Decades ago there was a guy in Beaver Dam Wisconsin That would pluck and clean your birds. We would drop off our birds and have lunch at Chili John's. Chili John's is still there and well worth the chile, burger/fries or a great breakfast but not open on Sunday. The guy is long gone, forced to close by his wife and kids because the odor was too much.
So we went to breasting the Canadas and cooking the breasts ala Tudugs, high heat, fast, rare.
The leg/thighs get sour cream loooong cooking.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 12/25/14 11:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark; have a wonderful Christmas.
I laughed at the quote "and it was so tough you couldn't cut the gravy." I have shot several geese, some were wonderful, some were as this fellow described.

I got word yesterday that my 16 Gauge You did the stock on was shipped to me. It will be the first time it has been in my hands in 5 years.

God Bless all there!
Sam Ogle, Lincoln,NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geese can be a lot like Brant along the east coast. Their edibility all depends on what they have been eating. We would shoot Brant if they were coming from the West or even the North but learned that from the East or South they have been into Sea Cabbage and made the worst dirty diaper seem mild. Milk baths can reduce many strong flavors but you needed a gas mask just to clean the birds. No person could stand the stink once they started eating the Sea Cabbage. The dog did not even want to retrieve them for fear that he would have to eat them later. Smart dog.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.